How Do You Stack Lumber? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

3Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By Pirate

post #1 of 13 Old 04-25-2016, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

View WoodworkingTalk's Photo Album My Photos
How Do You Stack Lumber?

How do you stack lumber? Horizontally? Vertically?

Why?

Credit: Topic provided by @Tony B.

Follow WoodworkingTalk.com on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/woodworkingtalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-25-2016, 07:10 AM

View aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
Simply I stack and sticker any wet or non dried wood so air can blow around them.
Dried slabs, below 10% moisture content, I don't bother with stickers.
All horizontal and in a shelving unit inside of a stone room with adequate ventilation.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-25-2016, 08:46 AM

View UnisawGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Vertically to save space. All my lumber is purchased kiln dried.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Vertical until I cut it for guitar backs, sides, and tops and then stickered horizontally.

David

Nothing to do with woodworking at all, just our music at church (I'm the guy with the Koa Takamine) - Airline Baptist BC Songs
Romans 3:23
post #5 of 13 Old 04-25-2016, 08:57 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I use both

For air drying, I use 1" stkickers between the boards which are also 1" thick. After air drying for 2 years minimum, I bring them inside to acclimate to the shop environment, usually around 55 degrees or warmer and low humidity.
In the shop I store them vertically, by tallest in the rear to shortest in the front. That way I can see all my lengths and get just the right one for the project. I sort bt species and label the ends with Red Oak, Wht Oak, Quartersawn, Maple, Cherrry, Walnut, Ash, etc. and then the exotics which are easy to discern, so no label is needed.
Wyo7200 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #6 of 13 Old 04-25-2016, 09:10 AM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Except for my first shop in a spare bedroom, all of my other shops were in rental locations. At every rental location, I always used vertical storage. Two shops had both vertical and horizontal storage and thatís because I had forklifts in the shop to handle the plywood.
Why I choose vertical storage:
1.) The boards are always flat against the rack and so no chance of warping or twisting from not laying flat. Whenever I move boards around, solid lumber or plywood, I just kick the bottom of the stack to ensure all is flat against each other and the rack.
2). I can better see what I have
3). It is much easier and faster to move a board in the vertical position than in a horizontal lifting and moving.
4). Plywood moving is a snap. Just back up to a sheet of plywood and tilt it forward till it leans on your back. Then barely bend you knees. Then spread your arms behind you and grab the ply at a comfortable low angle and stand up straight and lift the plywood. Now you can comfortably walk and carry at the same time.
Here comes the comical part. I suggest you do this in privacy: Walk the board up to your table saw then slowly bend forward and down to your knees until the plywood is making contact with the table saw. hen crawl out from under the plywood. Turn the table saw on, lift the ply from the other end and run through the saw.
Looking at the photos, you can see that the rack slopes slightly backwards and is a few inches off the floor. It was made entirely of MDF. The arms at the ends of the lumber rack were made of 1x4 pine. I wouldnít trust MDF to handle the stresses on the sides from banging the boards around. The lumber racks can be added to at any time. The framework truss behind the face-boards were glued and screwed together, and the face boards themselves were simply screwed to the trussís. Easy assembly and disassembly if you decide to move them.
This one here was in a 12 X 32 Mini-storage building. the electricity was poor at best, so I had to buy a generator for the air compressor. This started out as my hobby shop. I would say that about half the units were rented out to businesses. Some were active shops such as cabinet making, machine shop, awnings, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	234226  

Name:	Pic 2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	234234  

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	234242  

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 PM

View Robson Valley's Photo Album My Photos
Every which way for carving wood:
Flat on the floor under the benches. Vertical in the corners and along the walls. Log pieces stack like firewood.
Fresh shake blocks outdoors on top of the dog house to keep it from blowing away.
Crude jigs to hold wood for rough-out carving get left outdoors with freight pallets.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-28-2016, 05:34 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Good idea Tony..That'll be on my list sometime soon after I get the old shelving and bench removed. Looks like a great space saver. I'm really limited on floor space, but ok on wall space if that makes any sense..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-28-2016, 07:53 AM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
AllPurpose

It makes perfect sense to me. If the lumber is tight against the backboard and then stacked tight against the board the behind it, the boards wont sag due to gravity, as they would if stored flat between horizontal uprights.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
I use my forklift.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-05-2016, 10:11 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc.
I use my forklift.
That's my preferred method. The last time I got lumber I forgot to lay boards across the trailer so I had to load it on the forks by hand and then unload it because it needed stickered.

How Do You Stack Lumber?-image-1268642647.jpg

Forklifts are good for moving firewood too.

How Do You Stack Lumber?-image-2897930959.jpg
post #12 of 13 Old 08-02-2016, 08:40 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
After getting tired of not being able to pull any board out to check grain, etc, I made a on edge rack. One end is at the rear barn oh door, for loading from truck.
Pick a board. Any board. And slide it out.
If I can find out how to post pic from Photobucket, I would post a picture.
Has posting pics changed? Could be me!
post #13 of 13 Old 08-02-2016, 10:21 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Here (I hope)is a pic.
Attached Images

BigJim and Wyo7200 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode