Does Your Shop Need a Kiln? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 03-13-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

View WoodworkingTalk's Photo Album My Photos
Does Your Shop Need a Kiln?

Allowing lumber to sit outdoors or inside to reach the desired moisture content before working with it may be the easiest, least expensive way to season wood, but it’s also the slowest. And drying times can differ significantly depending on wood types, the primary moisture level in the green wood, its thickness and density, drying environments and processing methods.

On the other hand, all the above drying conditions can by controlled when wood is kiln dried. Is it worth it to you to invest in building or purchasing a kiln for your woodworking shop? Opinions vary as to the values of both methods of drying wood, but the decision is ultimately up to you.

Air vs. Kiln Drying Times

For centuries, the rule of thumb for air-drying wood is to allow one year of drying time for every inch of lumber thickness. This saying obviously only takes the thickness of the lumber into account, not climate or seasonal variables. Of course, properly setting up the lumber for air drying commonly entails a large investment in time and other factors, including stacking techniques and adequate protection from the elements.

While there are various styles, sizes and types of kilns used to dry lumber, they all balance humidity, airflow and temperature to reduce the MC in wood. Because various species demand various times to dry, even in a kiln, there is no hard and fast rule for how long the process can take.

Air drying is a way to dry wood but it will never get down to where furniture grade lumber needs to be. Air dried will only get as low as the outside humidity which isn't low enough. When kiln dried, the cells in the wood shrink and will never retain the same shape as before, air dried will not shrink the cells as small as kiln drying, so it can make the wood a little unstable and allow it to move.

The main advantage of using a kiln is that using such a controlled environment dries the wood faster and more evenly, lessening any moisture deviation between the external shell and the inner core. The uniformity of the process often eliminates insects or larvae hiding within the wood, reduces the chance of mold-related stains and hardens the pitch in softer woods such as pine.

Kiln Drying Defects

Kiln drying can also introduce drying defects into wood, especially if the process is rushed and no corrective steps are taken. For example, case hardening occurs when the outer shell of the wood dries faster than the inner core. The wet core prevents the shell from shrinking, which can cause the shell to dry in a stretched-out condition. Then, as the core finally dries, the shell stops it from shrinking completely, which can split the core, causing a condition known as honeycombing.

Mixing different species of wood in a single batch can also cause good boards go bad by creating cups, checks, warpage, bows and twists in the lumber.

Over-drying wood to below a 6-percent MC puts nearly incurable stresses on the wood, leaving it brittle, hard, prone to splitting and very hard to work by hand or machine.

Even when properly processed, kiln dried wood can lose up to 20-percent of the subtle colors and grains running through the lumber.

Benefits of Air Drying

When wood is air dried, the slower seasoning process doesn’t cause the stresses that can result in splits, warpage, checks and other kiln-dried defects because the wood is not “baked”. However, air dried wood will naturally contain a higher MC level, typically between 12- and 20-percent. The only way to be sure air-dried stock is ready to use is to invest in a dependable moisture meter and test it on a regular basis.

Many experienced woodworkers prefer air-dried lumber, but the truth is that kiln drying can also produce excellent results. The trick is to season the wood properly and store it so it successfully maintains a satisfactory moisture content. Properly kiln-dried lumber is not only a pleasure to work, but can often prove to be more consistent than air-dried wood.

Follow WoodworkingTalk.com on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/woodworkingtalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-13-2017, 04:51 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Do you saw your own lumber?

Unless you have a source of rough sawn lumber, either from a saw mill or if saw you own, you will likely not need a kiln. It also depends on the space you can allocate for one.

I have milled my own lumber on site over the years and have stacks of Oak and Maple stickered and ready to use after years of air drying. I have some already moved into the shop where it has acclimated for several years as well. You need a considerable amount of space to store and dry enough lumber for your projects depending on their size and scope.

Floor space in my shop is at a premium, so stacks of lumber waiting to dry or acclimate are in the way. I have a knee wall where the roof slopes down too much to be useable for the shop where I keep my lumber. There are vertical stacks of lumber in several places where I can select out pieces I need for immediate use. I have no room in the shop for a kiln and very little room outside either. I live in the wood on 3 acres, so there is enough space, just not a suitable location based on the amount I need at any one time.

Both of the lumber mills within a 50 mile drive, sell kiln dried lumber, so that's what I do if I need wood that I do not have on the property. A kiln might be nice, but not needed in my case.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-13-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode