What kind of Hinge was this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-11-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

View Piedmont's Photo Album My Photos
What kind of Hinge was this?

I went to a furniture store, and there was a coffee table.

The top of the coffee table was 2 seperate pieces. I was able to grab one side of the top and pull it up about 1 1/2 feet then slide it forward a foot so it turned into a rather sturdy food/work table. Afterward I was able to push it back down and slide it into place and it once again looked like a normal coffee table.

Does anyone know what kind of hinge that was, or what kind of coffee table? That is EXACTLY the feature I'm looking for but that one was way too big, they also didn't say what the name of it was. I included a picture to help show what it looked like, but I know I didn't get the hinge exactly right. Maybe the piece I'm talking about isn't a hinge, but I don't know what the name of it is.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Would this one work?

post #3 of 6 Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not so sure what purpose that serves [the pop up]......

unless you eat in front of the tv every night and read at the same time.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
Here is another one from Lee Valley ( a little less expensive).
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...586,43594&ap=1

I ordered one and am getting ready to make a coffee table for my niece. She does a lot of work at home and is going to use it for the laptop (and probably eating in front of the TV).
I'm using plans from Woodsmith Magazine to make hers. They used this same lift mechanism..

Never lick a steak knife.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
it would be cool if there was a way to use remote control and make it move on command button [up/down] just for kicks.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

View Piedmont's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, thanks that's what I'm looking for! I'm going to order one!

I'm taking night classes at our local college (statistics and math), so I'm heavily using a laptop. I'm 35 and married, and find the best place for me to study is in our living room in front of our wood burning fireplace we heat the house with which doesn't have a TV. But, I found out quickly trying to use a touchpad doing Excel is horrible. I end up putting the laptop on the coffee table that's knee high with a mouse attached while reading my book on my lap, with my paper on the cushion next to me and I'm forever having the book fall off my lap or close on me while I try to type or take notes and I like to be able to move, and my pen is forever lost somewhere usually in the crack of the couch. That's the main reason I want it, but also when I'm studying I do like to eat there as well. That pop-up hinge is the perfect answer, it's not as robust as the one I originally saw but will be just fine for what I want.

It's too bad that coffee table Cabinetman posted wasn't actually sold that's exactly what I'm looking for, including style and size. In particular we want it to have a wainescoating or vertical shiplap look, and I see it on the side of that table. I've always wanted to build my own piece of furniture, maybe I'll have a go at it. Our neighbor works in a high quality furniture company and he gives me the tons of scraps from his company to burn (unfinished & unstained) I've learned a lot about making furniture by seeing the broken & defect pieces in the scraps, I'm just concerned that, with furniture you need perfect accuracy and I'm not experienced with it. Maybe it's time I get a book. Thanks all!

Last edited by Piedmont; 02-12-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode