Violin scroll extension - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 04-23-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

View ags123's Photo Album My Photos
Violin scroll extension

I am a violinist who is looking to make/buy in a store a violin scroll extension. I have attached an image of the type of design I am thinking off. Basically it is a wooden piece with 2 screws.
I have absolutely no woodworking experience and have the following tools
a) hammer
b) 1 blunt chisel
c)sharpening stone
d) small hobby wood plane
e)1 drill with drill bits etc
Whats the easisest way for me to make this? If I can buy pre formed wood and then drill to put in the screw threads. Please let me know what other options I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	design.jpg
Views:	1914
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	8664  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

It would take a solid block of wood, and a few carving tools, a sharp pocket knife, and few chisels. Draw your pattern out on the block of wood and carve it out. That's how it can done.

post #3 of 17 Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
May i ask what it is for.
post #4 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks gave it a first shot(but not too successful)

Thanks cabinet man gave it a first shot, I was able to get a wood piece as shown in the picture attached but then I tried to chisel out cut 7 the last piece and the whole thing broke.
cut 5 and 6 are easy, but without cutting 7 the piece wont dislodge, now as this whole thing is surrounded I cant saw it off , the chisel+hammer method just broke the piece as it becomes slightly flimsy once the 6 cuts have been made.
Please advise how to get arround this.I used redwood about 1 inch wide. I dont know if I should get some other wood like maple or oak or something. Please let me know.

Scribbles this is to make the violin more compatible to my sitting down playing posture.(As I am 6 ft tall without this extra 4 inches in extension I have to bend too much and get back ache because of this.)

Thanks for all the replies.
Attached Images

Last edited by ags123; 04-24-2009 at 02:32 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 06:20 AM
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
Wouldn't adding 4" change the way the instrument sounds?
post #6 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ags123 View Post
Thanks cabinet man gave it a first shot, I was able to get a wood piece as shown in the picture attached but then I tried to chisel out cut 7 the last piece and the whole thing broke.
cut 5 and 6 are easy, but without cutting 7 the piece wont dislodge, now as this whole thing is surrounded I cant saw it off , the chisel+hammer method just broke the piece as it becomes slightly flimsy once the 6 cuts have been made.
Please advise how to get arround this.I used redwood about 1 inch wide. I dont know if I should get some other wood like maple or oak or something. Please let me know.

I would do #7 first, as it won't be causing stress on longrain that remains from what was removed. You could use a tennon saw or a back say, or even a hack saw and make straight down cuts for the edges, and then cut diagonals to the inside corners to remove a small triangle of wood. Then clean out the bottom.

Redwood is too soft for this type of project. Maple would be much better. Not as grainy, closed pore and very dense. The downside to maple for you will be that it's harder to shape.

post #7 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Chief pencil holder

Where are you located? mabie one of us could help you.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks will go and try on maple

ScottyB: Actually you may be right about that, but I dont play western classical. In my music speed is important and hence the violin needs to be firmly lodged between my chest and feet(seated). I am trying to make this posture ergomic with the extension.

Cabinetman: I will go and get a block of maple and give this a shot today.Thanks
Scribbles: I am in the SF bay area(But as currently unemployed ;( I am looking for the least costly option and thought making it myself may be the cheapest.)
post #9 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 01:56 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
ScottyB,

In a perfect tune instrument it wouldn't affect anything. Of course we don't live in a perfect world, and as a result there will be slight changes in instrument vibration that might change it slightly. That said, adding length at that end shouldn't change much about the way the instrument resonates. The majority of the sound comes from the body resonating, and adding this extension- particularly above the strings as indicated- shouldn't affect much of anything. It might have a slight effect, but not significant, especially as an "add on" part .

FrankP

Last edited by frankp; 04-24-2009 at 01:58 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Chief pencil holder

I am in Sacramento. If you want to make the road trip I will make it for free, I am happy to trade for some word of mouth. And I have piles and piles of maple lying around. I use the little pieces for firewood, lol..
post #11 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

Thank you guys for all the replies, As the scroll and pegbox of the violin look quite delicate, I had also posted in a luthier forum on how safe this design is. It seems this is not recommended as the scroll may crack with screws etc. So I am following up on the luthier forum to identify a safer solution.(Scribbles, thank you for your very generous offer, once I identify this solution I will PM you, thanks so much)
post #12 of 17 Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Chief pencil holder

I was thinking you can not put a screw into the scroll, But if you cut the extension properly, and fit it well it would act like a cradle and not need screws. You are only pushing down correct?
post #13 of 17 Old 04-25-2009, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Downward force

Scribbles, yes its mainly pushing down. But from the Lutherie form Carl has given me a more safer design(I have attached it for info). Currently it looks very doable with wood piece, 1 saw and 1 drill. I will give it a shot and post once I have a decent working model.
Thanks again for the help.

A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Holding block 2.jpg
Views:	2815
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	8700  

post #14 of 17 Old 04-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Big Member

View Allthumbs27's Photo Album My Photos
Do you use a kuhn or a pad? This should allow more movement.
My wife worked in a violin shop while in college. I will ask her later today what she thinks about your design.
PM me. Or switch to the viola. Strings for a violin only go up to a fullsize.If you extend it then you wont find strings to fit.

Every fight is a food fight when you are a cannibal.

Last edited by Allthumbs27; 04-25-2009 at 12:26 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Chief pencil holder

That is along the lines of what i was thinking. Keep us wpdated.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Update: Success

Thought I would update with some pics of my second attempt based on suggestions from Carl in the Lutherie forum. Please find attached the pics. This attachment is stable.Mainly used a Hole saw to remove the circular part then used a coping saw and tons of sand paper. Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

Sincerely
A
Attached Images

post #17 of 17 Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Big Member

View Allthumbs27's Photo Album My Photos
I'm going to just back off of this one.

Every fight is a food fight when you are a cannibal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode