Resin work. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

View polyatomichuman's Photo Album My Photos
Question Resin work.

I am wanting to create a wood / resin combo art piece/ center piece. I have a few fallen cedar limbs that have broken ends and i am wanting to fill the broken end with enough resin to create a "gemstone looking growth" that protrudes out of the broken portion but leaves the remainder of the limb unaffected. My questions are:

1) How would you all recommend "enclosing" the limb to create the "mold" to do this?
2) Do you recommend removing the bark from the remainder of the limb before working with it?
3) Is there any pre-treatment of the wood other making sure it is clean, dry, oil and dust free?
4) Once the resin is cured and cut to shape is there an effective way to polish or buff the saw marks out of the resin, and if so how?

Thank you for your time and energy with this matter!

I've cut this thing twice and it's still too small
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2017, 06:24 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What type of resin are we talking about?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-11-2017, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
What type of resin are we talking about?
"Famowood Glaze Coat" I'll be honest, not sure if it's even the stuff I can/should use...

Thanks!
post #4 of 7 Old 01-11-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyatomichuman View Post
I am wanting to create a wood / resin combo art piece/ center piece. I have a few fallen cedar limbs that have broken ends and i am wanting to fill the broken end with enough resin to create a "gemstone looking growth" that protrudes out of the broken portion but leaves the remainder of the limb unaffected. My questions are:

1) How would you all recommend "enclosing" the limb to create the "mold" to do this?
2) Do you recommend removing the bark from the remainder of the limb before working with it?
3) Is there any pre-treatment of the wood other making sure it is clean, dry, oil and dust free?
4) Once the resin is cured and cut to shape is there an effective way to polish or buff the saw marks out of the resin, and if so how?

Thank you for your time and energy with this matter!
If I'm correctly understanding what you are doing, I would probably find a container such as a cardboard box and line the inside with a plastic bag. Then partially pour some epoxy in and insert the limb and pour the rest. Going that thick you probably should allow 2 or 3 times the recommended drying time. From there cut the cardboard box off and peal off the bag if it will. From there you can cut and sand the epoxy as needed. The hard part is it will turn white while you are doing this and won't be able to tell where the limb is exactly. After you have it the shape you want it's a matter of polishing the scratches out. Sand it with finer and finer sandpaper until you get to 400 grit and then use wet and dry sandpaper and sand it using water as a lubricant. Do a very thorough sanding at this stage. If there is any coarser scratches left you won't be able to get rid of them with finer paper. From there progressively go from 400 grit to 2000 grit. After that buff the epoxy with an electric buffer with a lambswool bonnet and rubbing compound to bring the sheen back. Then the last step is a clearcoat safe polish. If it doesn't come out glossy then sanding somewhere was insufficient somewhere so depending on the appearance go back to 1000 grit and start over from there.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Steve,

Thank you so much for your help with this! I was thinking wrap it in wax paper and packing tape to minimize the amount of epoxy needed... but that may not be best I suppose. Thanks again! I'll post pics when I get it finished.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 AM

If you want to minimize the epoxy you could use multiple coats and pour it over the limb. All you would have to do is scuff sand it after each coat to insure a bond.

As far as the wax paper, I think that would make a better non-stick surface for a mold. I was just trying to think of something leak proof is why I suggested a plastic bag.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode