Radial Expansion Dining Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 29 Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

View texasblue4's Photo Album My Photos
Radial Expansion Dining Table

I am looking for the plans for a Radial Expansion Dining Table that is not the Jupe style. It appears as an 8-pointed star in the center only that drops down and pops up as the sections seperate and go back together around the perimeter of the table as it is spun. It doesnot look like the Oscarde la Renta tables in Century House Furniture Collection. Carpentry...wmv I hope this link comes through. Any help provided would be so appreciated. Thanks.
Sherry
texasblue4@msn.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-29-2009, 06:07 PM

View NKYDarrell's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasblue4 View Post
I am looking for the plans for a Radial Expansion Dining Table that is not the Jupe style. It appears as an 8-pointed star in the center only that drops down and pops up as the sections seperate and go back together around the perimeter of the table as it is spun. It doesnot look like the Oscarde la Renta tables in Century House Furniture Collection. Carpentry...wmv I hope this link comes through. Any help provided would be so appreciated. Thanks.
Sherry
texasblue4@msn.com

the link doesn't work. I've never heard of Jupe style either. are there any more links that you could point to?
post #3 of 29 Old 09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Like this:

The link has been removed by Yahoo for some unkown reason. See youtube videos below!

There is no charge for the free advice, but you get what you pay for ... just sayin'

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-01-2009 at 09:02 PM.
post #4 of 29 Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

OMG that is AMAZING!!!!!
post #5 of 29 Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Radial Expansion Table - db Fletcher

YES!!! Isn't it? I found it last night after looking for 2 hours. That was the link I had attached, but just the videp of the Yacht" table in motion no identifiers of the web site. Now all I need are plans and hardware used to make this amazing piece of ART work!!! Thanks for your help. Sherry
post #6 of 29 Old 09-30-2009, 01:56 PM
where's my table saw?

Do you like this one?

Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling that who ever designed and engineered that first one, is not going to give the plans away for free.
I could be wrong however. Some things found on "Yachts" money can't buy, or should be able to anyway! That one belongs right up there with the 7 Wonders of Wood Working in my book. I don't know what the other 6 are, but nothing I ever made or will made the list! So I don't know where you go from here fpor plans but I'll still try to find out. bill
here's the other 1 of 2 from deanopain:

There is no charge for the free advice, but you get what you pay for ... just sayin'

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-30-2009 at 02:00 PM.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM

http://www.dbfletcher.com/capstan/

This is the maker of the table you saw in the video. it says they have a patent on the design. I doubt you are going to be able to find plans or hardware for it anywhere.

I searched some for their tables and their basic expanding table goes for $14,000 and the one in the video above goes for $32,000. Good luck.

Edit:

sorry, those prices were in British Pounds. Given the exchange rate, 1 pound = 1.61 dollars.

12 seat Rising and Furling Table. 154 cms – 230 cms (60.25” – 90.50”): £32,000 Pounds Sterling
10 seat Rising and Furling Table. 120 cms – 187 cms (47.25” – 73.50”): £26,300 Pounds Sterling
8 seat Rising and Furling Table. 103 cms – 153 cms (40.5” – 60.25”): £18,600 Pounds Sterling
6 seat Rising and Furling Table. 80 cms – 123 cms (31.5” – 48.5”): £13,150 Pounds Sterling

Last edited by NKYDarrell; 09-30-2009 at 05:52 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 09-30-2009, 06:38 PM
where's my table saw?

Thanks for following up on this NYDarrell

Anyone interested in going into the $32.000 table business? LeoG ? Seems that money can buy anything! What was the expression? Throw money at it until it works...Well, very ingenious and well crafted to boot. bill

post #9 of 29 Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both so very much

Thank yall both so very much. I do believe it is a "bit" pricey, gorgeous though. I am still looking to see what (if anything) I can find about the construction and hardware. Somebody, somewhere has something and will be willing to share! The company I work for is a proponent of your quote...Throw money at it until it works. Guess another option is to expieriment as I go. Of course that means more $$$$$$. Thanks again to the both of you for your help. Sherry
post #10 of 29 Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasblue4 View Post
Thank yall both so very much. I do believe it is a "bit" pricey, gorgeous though. I am still looking to see what (if anything) I can find about the construction and hardware. Somebody, somewhere has something and will be willing to share! The company I work for is a proponent of your quote...Throw money at it until it works. Guess another option is to expieriment as I go. Of course that means more $$$$$$. Thanks again to the both of you for your help. Sherry

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Here is the complete construction data for making that table.

post #11 of 29 Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 PM
where's my table saw?

Holy Socks Batman and C-man!

Viewing that step by step process, it took about 1/2 hr to read it all, was about the most humbling woodworking experience I never had. Who is this guy, woodworking and electrical genius, he makes me feel like a real "hacker of wood" But I'm glad to know that this kind of work exists. Something to reach for when I get older and have more skills ...heh...heh...Not in my lifetime! Thanks C-man bill

post #12 of 29 Old 10-01-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

WOW...I am AWED.

Cabinetman,

Thank you for the Welcome.

Thank you so much for sharing that truly awesome job! What a beautiful table, Such fantastic work.

Sherry
post #13 of 29 Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 AM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
That is an awesome read for any woodworker. The demonstration of applied thought to making a project come together is beyond belief.

I encourage all of you to take the time to read this, it will inspire you to think outside the traditional box on a lot of projects.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #14 of 29 Old 10-01-2009, 09:28 AM
where's my table saw?

This wood worker has a great webstie !

The name of the woodworker who made the table in C-mans post is Rick Christopherson.
Here's the link: http://www.waterfront-woods.com/
There are tips on electrical wiring for woodworkers, self-starting mag switch power tools , mathematical solutions to precise cutting angles...IT IS AWESOME! bill

BTW:
Click "rate this thread" above and to give it up to 5 stars!

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-01-2009 at 08:59 PM.
post #15 of 29 Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 PM

View Zircon's Photo Album My Photos
When only an original will do

Current ad for circa 1850 Jupe table
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001 (Small).jpg
Views:	4494
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	10941  

post #16 of 29 Old 10-03-2009, 08:35 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The construction of that table was truly done by a superior craftsman.

The person who had the imagination to make the original design was even more amazing.

G
post #17 of 29 Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Furniture Maker

View OpenDesignDude's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

A beautiful table indeed! I went to the gentleman’s website, and noticed that some of the articles were originally posted on The Oak Factory website….a very familiar name from the past. I used to visit there often back in the mid 90’s. Is it still around? I couldn't find it on Google.

A little bit of insider knowledge----I just ended a four year stint as a Furniture Designer (the entire interior on a yacht is called furniture) at a prestigious yacht maker, and fancy mechanical Main Salon tables are the norm. They are used as a sales device at the boat shows in Florida and Monaco….. and in many cases money is no object.
But you are very unlikely to see one on the web other than pictures of it in action. Designers where I worked are required to sign very strict non disclosure agreements. It’s too bad though, because none of the ones we built are patented, and they are never built twice. Gazillionairs do not like other peoples leftovers. They are also very expensive to build.....

I have a few links to yacht stuff I designed on a brand new woodworking page on my website. There are also free plans for a plywood toilet (of all things), and a tutorial for modeling a 3D door as well (somewhat advanced). The plans need a little tweeking, so feedback would be welcome.

Mark
The Open Design Project
post #18 of 29 Old 10-25-2009, 11:37 AM

View gjhzyy's Photo Album My Photos
Useful information.
post #19 of 29 Old 10-25-2009, 04:48 PM
where's my table saw?

Really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhzyy View Post
Useful information.
Really?

post #20 of 29 Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhzyy View Post
Useful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings
Really!

Gotta admit,,,useful information...really!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode