Plywood bed with storage - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 01-09-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

View dkrol's Photo Album My Photos
Plywood bed with storage

Hi guys,

I've been working on my first project (attached), which is still in a design phase, and therefore I have some questions:
- Is plywood going to be strong enough to support people sleeping on the bed? Estimated weight is to be around 200 kg.
- I am particularly interested in making the connection between a leg and two supporting beams. I wouldn't like to have any visible screws. If I use 2 dowels per each of the beams, is it going to be enough to bear the load? Or should I create mortise and tenon?
- Is it common anyway to use mortise and tenon joinery when utilizing plywood?
- Can I make such a joint (mortise and tenon) in a piece of plywood?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Dariusz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed_Connection.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	271450  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-09-2017, 05:13 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrol View Post
Hi guys,

I've been working on my first project (attached), which is still in a design phase, and therefore I have some questions:
- Is plywood going to be strong enough to support people sleeping on the bed? Estimated weight is to be around 200 kg.
- I am particularly interested in making the connection between a leg and two supporting beams. I wouldn't like to have any visible screws. If I use 2 dowels per each of the beams, is it going to be enough to bear the load? Or should I create mortise and tenon?
- Is it common anyway to use mortise and tenon joinery when utilizing plywood?
- Can I make such a joint (mortise and tenon) in a piece of plywood?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Dariusz
I think your estimated weight is too much for the bed design as shown. The design needs a few changes to strengthen it. Plywood is strong, but it will flex. Not up and down but from side to side. In order to keep the plywood from flexing, I recommend using slats under the mattress. If the slats are attached to the side rails it will keep the sides from flexing (bowing outward).
Also, I would plan for a strong center support.
One way to strengthen the bed is to double the sides. Instead of 3/4", use at least 1 1/4" for the side rails.
What you are calling the beam is the side rail. Dowels can be fine to attach the side rail to the leg or post but it needs to be a large diameter hardwood dowel. I recommend cutting a lap joint in the post for support if you don't use the mortise and tenon. The lap will add significant support even if it's only 1/2" deep.
There is metal bed hardware available to attach the rails if you choose to use it.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode