Platform Storage bed plans - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

View Taxidermy and Wood's Photo Album My Photos
Question Platform Storage bed plans

I have scoured the web for plans for a platform storage bed but have been unsuccessful. I need a complete set of plan as well as a material list. It does not have to be free and am more than willing to pay. The plans that I need most closely resemble this bed. http://www.cymax.com/Coaster-Bookcas...ino-Finish.htm
The finish does not matter nor the wood as I will determine those on my own. I would sure appreciate any help on this as I have about given up on the search engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Just a thought. Have you considered working out your own set of plans?

post #3 of 14 Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with c-man. Go with your own plans,and your projects will make you feel better about yourself. Not that you shouldn't go with others plans. But go with what you feel. It'll mean much more to you. That's what I do. Photo memory.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #4 of 14 Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I agree with c-man. Go with your own plans,and your projects will make you feel better about yourself. Not that you shouldn't go with others plans. But go with what you feel. It'll mean much more to you. That's what I do. Photo memory.
I just wanted some plans this time.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxidermy and Wood
Thats your choice. I'm sure it will be nice. Can't wait to see it.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #6 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Rick

View DIY@home's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I'm one of those guys on the other side of the equation. I prefer to design stuff over actually making it. Partly because I have a small basement shop that's dripping with moisture in July and August.

Years ago I was looking for plans for a bed with a bookcase headboard and couldn't find what I was looking for so I designed my own (I do residential cabinet design for a living). After I built it, I fleshed out the plans with idea of selling them on the internet which I do now for a bit of extra income. (Sorry, I don't have any plans for a storage type bed.)

My approach to any project that I need to build, is to draw up plans (I'm an obsessive planner) and take pictures throughout the building process.

After it's done I use the pictures to remind me about what I actually did when making the plans for sale - sometimes years later.

I hope you can find what you need.

Cheers, Rick

"Experience is what you usually get when you were expecting something else"
The Following User Says Thank You to DIY@home For This Useful Post:
Taxidermy and Wood (12-02-2011)
post #7 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rick

I understand how true wood-workers just set down and flesh out the plans. I actually started out my life as an electrical draftsman so drawing and planning are not new to me but,

I just do not have the time or the facilities to sit down and draw this up. I promised my wife that I could build a bed of better quality, exactly as she wanted and cheaper than one we would buy. I would just like to have a good plan to edit rather than play "try and see". I just want to get started and thought that someone on here could lead me to something close to the picture I first attached. I know everyone means well but I just need the plans if they are out there. I have done taxidermy part-time for over 20 years and I never did take on a new project without first seeing how the pros did it. That is the same thing here. First time bed building and need the direction from the pros, in the form of some good plans, material list, etc. Thanks for all who have replied and tried to help.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 12:11 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I have a twin size bed that looks similar in structure to what you posted. If you want, I can try to get and post some photos of the inside this weekend (I think there's enough space to tip it over...). It's pretty simple, though: it's a plywood box with openings cut for the drawers. As I recall, there are supports across the short dimension with the rails for the drawers attached, and the mattress sits on a piece of plywood that's fastened to some cross-braces. It's survived a lot of abuse, so it's certainly a sturdy design!

It doesn't have a book-case headboard, but that seems like it would be relatively simple to add.

Let me know if you want pictures -- I'll see what I can do.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Alex !

I really do appreciate your offer but I am dense enough to need a set of plans. I still search the web as often as I can and have found a couple of things but will still search. Thank you Alex!
post #10 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 05:05 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
No problem! You might try searching for "captain's bed" plans: as far as I can tell that's what beds with drawers under them are called when they're twin size. You might be able to find plans for a full or queen, or just change the width of some twin size plans.
The Following User Says Thank You to amckenzie4 For This Useful Post:
Taxidermy and Wood (12-02-2011)
post #11 of 14 Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 PM

View Mozart's Photo Album My Photos
I am new to this site so please forgive any mistakes that I make in this posting.

I have several designs for a platform bed. Are you looking for a king or queen bed. Plain or bookcase headboard.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for reply

Looking for KIng with Bookcase headboard
post #13 of 14 Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 AM

View Mozart's Photo Album My Photos
Send me your address
post #14 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 04:23 PM

View Cripley's Photo Album My Photos
The lady who runs this site has plans for a whole host of furniture pieces for free with plans done in google sketch up. Although its not exactly what you want the below link is for a storage bed with drawers on the sides---it could easily be modified for what you want.

link: http://ana-white.com/2011/09/farmhou...torage-drawers

Tags
bed plans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode