Woodworking Talk banner

mobile base

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  garryswf 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to build a mobile base for my TS, i know i could probably buy one cheaper than go through hassle of building one but wouldn't doing that take all the fun out of owning woodworking tools. I WILL take all suggestions. OMT, i getting the feeling that my wife (love her to death, and very tolerent) thinks i am alittle nutsoo when it comes to my new investment:yes:. Have a great day!!:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Cabinetman Thanks for the website, i will be checking it out further. I have been doing alot of web surfing and have found quite afew mobile bases that folks have built. The only reason i started this thread is because the guys on this forum seem to have so many terrific ideas. :thumbsup: It's 5:00 aclock somewere :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I just built one this past weekend for my new saw. Made of about 90% recycled framing lumber and includes an outfeed table behind the saw, shelf below the outfeed, and two lumber racks below the saw. Used heavy duty casters with locking wheels; rolls nicely around my garage and locks pretty solid with only two wheels locked.

#6 ·
Nice description, sounds cool!

Where do you live so we can come over and see it! :laughing: No pix? That would be good.:thumbsup: bill

#9 ·
streamwinner
Pretty is in the eyes of the beholder. If YOU like the end result that is what matters, also if it serves your needs, well, nuff said. The base i am building is far from pretty but it is going to serve my needs. Actually what i did is probably taboo when it comes to a project like this. I bolted two pieces of oak that i salvaged from a couple of pallets directly too the saw base (hey the next owner can deal with the holes, for now the saw ain't going nowere). I planed and edged them first, well anyway i will post a pic when i get alittle further along, that way you can see the method to my madness. BTW i haven't forgotten about the bearings, just been very busy. I'll PM you soon.

#10 · (Edited)
just a start

Her are a couple of pixs of the mobile base i started. The reason the caster supports have not been cut off yet is that i think a router table feature would work in the extention table that will be on the right side of the saw. These might be needed for support in some way. Hey i can always cut them off later in i don't need them, right?[/ATTACH]

#11 ·
Hey Garry, that unisaw looks like it is missing a wing, miter gauge, throat plate and fence! I am glad to see you decided to get that beast for the deal you had posted. How do you like it? Have you secured a deal on the missing parts or decided what route you are taking with them? Let us know. Base looks good so far. Doesn't need to be fancy, just provide good support, good balance and lock down hard. I have a homeade one on my jointer that is just some 2 by4's half lap jointed with casters on all four corners, two of which lock. Very simple, sturdy, and it doesn't slide on me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.