Mitre Saw Stand plans - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 01-24-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

View autoBrad's Photo Album My Photos
Mitre Saw Stand plans

Everyone,

I have a mitre saw currently sitting on my main workbench.. Finally I am fed up with moving things and knocking things off, etc.. Anyone have any good links to mitre saw stations of this style??

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...ter_Saw_Stand/

The more detailed and more step by step the plans are the better. This link just had a parts list and a write up.. I need some more detailed and slower type plans.. I need it to be on wheels and preferably with wings that fold up and down.. I don't have the room for a bit like full lenght of the wall type of station, I need to be able to roll it around, etc.. Though most of the time it will be in one place... This will be the largest good grade something I have ever made, so more complete the plans, the better.. Thanks in advance..

I doubt it matters, but I have a 12 inch dewalt dw716 dual bevel non sliding mitre saw..

Brad
The Following User Says Thank You to autoBrad For This Useful Post:
Alr 3629 (02-21-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Could you modify something like this? I know it's simple, but sometimes, simple is best.
http://www.runnerduck.com/pmbench.htm
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
Alr 3629 (02-21-2015), Maryland CNC (07-27-2014)
post #3 of 18 Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
I know building it your self is much cheaper and twice the fun, but Lowe's sells one for around $100.00 and Harbor Freight has one even cheaper. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40612

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #4 of 18 Old 01-25-2009, 04:30 PM

View Susan J's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Brad,
I have been looking for mitre saw table plans for awhile and haven't found anything on wheels yet. Here's a link to a nice looking stand that they put on saw horses. I have been thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to build a square base on wheels that this can sit on.

http://www.plansnow.com/mitersaw.html

Norm Abrams also has plans at his new yankee workshop website but it is kind of big.

Good luck,
Susan
post #5 of 18 Old 01-25-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to build a cabinet on wheels first and get that down.. and then make one like the one I put the link to.. except to have that back fence go down both sides. I don't like the portable ones you buy because they waste a huge amount of space underneath and when the fold up they aren't useable at all... Since I don't take the saw many places.. I don't need a stand like that. The one Kenbo submitted is cool, but I want one to support long pieces..

If I build one I'll definitely submit pictures, etc..

Thanks

Brad
post #6 of 18 Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Sorry Susan.. I didn't see your response, when I posted.. I see it now, yes, I really like that one also. When I say on wheels I mean just on wheels to roll around the shop.. I think I could make a cabinet and put that stand ontop of it very easily.. Now I don't like the length of those support, I think they need to go out much longer, but I think it's a good design..
post #7 of 18 Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
I think this is the one Norm Built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Work Bench on NYW.jpg
Views:	194930
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	6829  

Attached Images

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #8 of 18 Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Joonya Membah

View bzbatl's Photo Album My Photos
Actually, this is the one that Norm built:

If you haven't started yours yet - I have the plans for this one. The sides flip up and there's a drawer and two cabinets for storage.

As for me, I'm building a new custom workbench like the above one, though. My garage is nowhere near large enough for Norm's projects
post #9 of 18 Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
Personally, I don't like miter saw stands that have solid fences beyond the saw. Mainest reason is that if you are cutting a board that's slightly warped, you won't get a square cut. Here's a photo of mine in my shop.

post #10 of 18 Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 PM

View johnv51's Photo Album My Photos
Here's what I built. It's similar to the one you linked to.

The swing arms support the stock and have T track to hold a stop. The brackets are heavy duty folding shelf brackets I found at Woodworkers Supply. The center portion with the plexiglass is for dust control. The connection is on the back and there is a 6" hole directly under the saw. The drawers on either side of the dust chamber are designed to hold 10" saw blades. It's on 3" casters. I originally had a Craftsman CMS on it but recently upgraded to the Makita SCMS you see in the photo. I redid the wing supports by using 1/4" bolts with multiple nuts so I could adjust the height and level the wings.

Spilling wine on oak does not make it purpleheart!
post #11 of 18 Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Joonya Membah

View bzbatl's Photo Album My Photos
^^ That's real nice john, I like it!

Did you design that yourself or build it off plans?
post #12 of 18 Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 PM

View johnv51's Photo Album My Photos
It's a combination of a couple of plans including the one in your post. I added the dust collection setup from Norm's router table as I had just finished building that and liked the way it worked. I found the folding shelf brackets on Woodworkers Supply web site and ordered 2 sets. They seemed sturdier than the wood brackets from the other plan. I set the dimensions to match the saw I had at the time but would build it a little wider and deeper if I had to do it over. After some minor modifications to the wings it took the new Makita CSMS quite well. Here's a picture of the dust set up from behind the cabinet. It also shows the old saw.

Spilling wine on oak does not make it purpleheart!
post #13 of 18 Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

bzbatl, if you could send me the plans for that, it would be awesome... I can give you my email, etc.. bradandmarcia@gmail.com or if the one in my profile is listed, it works too.. I have never made anything like that and would like to look at plans first and maybe either go directly off them or modify them..

bradnailer, that's an interesting point.

I really like johnv51's, that's thing is awesome.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 AM

View sslandry's Photo Album My Photos
Get a Rousseau table. http://www.mikestools.com/2850-Rouss...Stand-Kit.aspx It's not expensive and it's on wheels. IT's really nice and sturdy. I put my planer on the bottom shelf which has been a great space saver. The wings are nice and long too. I find myself using the wings as a work/glue space.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
Although I feel my own designs are pretty good, truthfully, I go to Norm's site before I do anything.

Also a guy, Basswood, on our sister forum, Contractor Talk, (there's a link to it in the upper righthand corner) does some pretty innovative things with saw stands and jigs.

Because I need to be portable, this is the one I use... $99, and one of the sturdiest I've found. Sets up in about 30 seconds.

For anyone doing work at a customer's home, I highly recommend this last one. Wheels are highly over-rated for use at a remote jobsite. In your own shop, fine, but not on the road. For one thing, you are NOT going to roll your saw across someone's carpet... at least not live to tell about it. And most of your cutting is going to be either right behind your truck on their driveway, or somewhere on their lawn. In both cases, wheels don't mean much. They are a BEAR to drag across thick grass.

Last edited by Willie T; 03-06-2009 at 10:28 AM.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
Susan J listed a site for "Plans Now". I urge any of you to check that place out. Tons of plans, and most for $4.95... a handful for $5.95. Lotta neat stuff!

The list is on their Home Page.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 12:37 AM

View Dan Mooney's Photo Album My Photos
Here's another one from Norm Abrams, you can find the video and plans on his web site
Attached Images

Jesus was a Woodworker.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Willy T,

Your stand looks almost like the one I got from Wholesale Tools.

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...iter_Saw_Stand

Mine folds up nicely and can be rolled around like a hand truck. The saw stays bolted to it and it is very easy to set up.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode