Woodworking Talk banner

Hutch Design opinions

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BigHUGE201 
#1 ·
Hi, i am building this hutch for my mom when i get out of school in 2 weeks, its going to be made out of cherry (i have a HUGE stack of black cherry in my basement) and i was just wondering what you guys think of it and if there are any design changes that i should make. Also, all the parts that look like raised panels are actually just panels with a 1/2" molding going around. Also im not sure yet what kinad of finish om going to use, any suggestions?

See less See more
#4 ·
Just a few observations.

1. I like that you have aligned the panel details on the side with the door and drawer details on the front. This speaks highly of your attention to detail.
2. I'm not too thrilled by the setback of the door section in your lower cabinet. Probably just a tomato tomaaaato thing.
3. I don't like that the end doors will be opening into the brackets you have as a trim detail on the lower cabinet.

Having said all that, this will truly be a piece to remember if executed properly.

Ed

#6 ·
The design is attractive, and if I had my way I'd make a few changes. Keep in mind my opinion is my personal taste, and should make very little difference to what looks good to you.

I would make the two doors both upper and lower on the left as pairs, and the two on the right as pairs. IOW, the handles will be in the middle of each pair. You might draw the pairs of doors both upper and lower to come together where they meet and allow the spacing between them only in the overall middle (just as an alternative to the spacing you drew for this design).

I would eliminate the decorative corbels that look supportive at the ends of the cabinet. If you want to add a design detail, try drawing fluted pilasters on the front outside edges with rosettes at the top and a plinth base at the bottom, where they meet the countertop. They could be flush or stand proud of the doors.

I would make the decorative panel moulding on the ends as one upper and one lower trim moulding panel. Although as two, it makes the unit appear taller, to me it looks too busy.

You may not have drawn the crown with all the horizontal lines for the profile, but as drawn that crown is too plain for the cabinet.

Whatever design you settle on, you can depend on help with your project from interested members. Varied opinions can be very constructive.

#7 ·
thank you for the input. I had actually thought about not putting the decorative supports and putting in 1/2 posts/ballusters but i personally thought they would look out of place. The crown will probably be a little more busy looking than in the drawing.

Also, when i had originally drawn the designs for this i had the two side pannels as one but i thought the gap was way to large and the two pannels just looked better in my opinion.

But i do appreciate all of the input and thought you put into it, its deffinetely a lot of help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.