Help building plywood box - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

View nolo's Photo Album My Photos
Help building plywood box

I need to build a rectangular plywood box. The dimensions will be something like 12"x12"x48". One of the ends needs to be capped, but I could cap both ends. I was thinking about running 2x4's along the inside vertically and just nailing the plywood to them. I would then run small blocking perpendicular to the studs. This seems like a little overkill though. It will be used to support about 25 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Your described use of 2x4s would work of course but that's not joinery, it's butchery. What kind of tools / skills do you have? How thick is the plywood? If it's thin, you may HAVE to resort to something like what you mention, but for thicker plywood there are lots of joints that would work well.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #3 of 5 Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

View nolo's Photo Album My Photos
I was planning on using 1/2" plywood. Aesthetics are of little concern to me, as the boxes will be covered in fabric. I have basic power tools (table saw, compound miter saw, router with table, etc.).
post #4 of 5 Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I would just rabbett the opposite sides

To get the 12" finished dimension make a 1/4" rabbet on 2 sides of the box , then use 11 1/2 sides for the opposite ones. Rabbet the top and botom in and it will be strong. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #5 of 5 Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
To get the 12" finished dimension make a 1/4" rabbet on 2 sides of the box , then use 11 1/2 sides for the opposite ones. Rabbet the top and botom in and it will be strong. bill
I agree 100%

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode