Floating shelf weight rating - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

View mendozer's Photo Album My Photos
Floating shelf weight rating

I can't seem to find a hard answer on this so I'll gather opinions here.
I want to make floating shelves in a room of mine; there will be 4 separate corner pieces (it will circle the room aside from windows and door frames). I think I'm going to go with a ladder support system as that seems stout and is easy. I'll either make the shelf outer from pine boards or plywood and rip to size. I may rout the edges, or leave square (still unknown).

I was going to make the ladder support from 2x6s that I'll rip to 2x3s (more consistent size and shape vs 2x4s at my local store). These will of course be screwed (or lag bolted) into studs at every opportunity. Shelf will stick out 12". It's fore small kitchen appliances, plates and bowls, etc.

Is there some formula for structural wood to calculate this? I'd be happy if each 16" wide piece of shelf would support 50 lbs, aside from shelf weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

I found this!

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

Seems cool. I suppose I'd use doug fir as my species since that's the framing lumber for the support and not plywood as that's the surface covering.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 01:30 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I am confused. Are the shelves going to be floating or are you going to use a ladder support?

In my definition of a "floating shelf" there is no visible support.

How much weight the shelves can support is going to be purely based on how well you build them.

George

post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

ladder support being the 2x ladder type frame that screws directly onto the wall. The "box" then slides over the frame to look like a floating shelf. Or some people just nail facing material directly to the frame for the same look. I am still deciding how I will do it for mine.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 01:46 PM

View TimeTurnsElastic's Photo Album My Photos
One idea if they're corner floating shelves. Get steel angles, one a little under 16" for the length and the other 12" for the depth. The angles with the holes in them. Cut a shallow mortise on the back and side of the shelves @ the depth of the angle's thickness and the dimensions of the vertical side of the angle. Cut a slot the depth and thickness for horizontal side of the angle to fit into snugly. Position and fasten the angles to the studs where possible and slide your shelf right in. Some liquid nails might be a good idea. If you use wide angles, say 2" I think you will have plenty of support as the shelf will be slotted in from both the back and side. You can screw into the angles from below and countersink. You'll still see them on the higher shelves but nice looking screws with decorative heads could actually add to the look. Just an idea. I haven't done this but was considering an approach along these lines for some floating shelves I'm doing in my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTurnsElastic View Post
One idea if they're corner floating shelves. Get steel angles, one a little under 16" for the length and the other 12" for the depth. The angles with the holes in them. Cut a shallow mortise on the back and side of the shelves @ the depth of the angle's thickness and the dimensions of the vertical side of the angle. Cut a slot the depth and thickness for horizontal side of the angle to fit into snugly. Position and fasten the angles to the studs where possible and slide your shelf right in. Some liquid nails might be a good idea. If you use wide angles, say 2" I think you will have plenty of support as the shelf will be slotted in from both the back and side. You can screw into the angles from below and countersink. You'll still see them on the higher shelves but nice looking screws with decorative heads could actually add to the look. Just an idea. I haven't done this but was considering an approach along these lines for some floating shelves I'm doing in my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw someone do this online but they put the angles directly against the stud, then re-patched the drywall and painted over it. While super sturdy, I just really don't want to do that IF it's not necessary. If it's going wall to wall, I'd imagine the direct to stud screws would be good enough no?

another thought, since all four corners of the room will have a shelf, I could just make straight shelving frames butt into the corners then have another butt into that on the adjacent wall. I mean technically I'll need to do that anyways. I'm not building a custom L shaped frame.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 04:34 PM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer View Post
I saw someone do this online but they put the angles directly against the stud, then re-patched the drywall and painted over it. While super sturdy, I just really don't want to do that IF it's not necessary. If it's going wall to wall, I'd imagine the direct to stud screws would be good enough no?
Not sure if this answers your questions, but this was my solution to my wife's mixing bowl collection. Works very well and pretty low tech. Aluminum screwed through the drywall into the studs, no additional measures taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Float Shelf1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	285553  

Name:	Float shelf2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	285561  

post #8 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Those welded together? That's probably quite a bit more than wood

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I had a local shop weld them up, 1/4" AL, can't remember how much it cost but it wasn't too bad. I could have drilled/tapped/screwed them but welding was the easy way out.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:

If I was going to do this in wood I would dado a 1/4" slot 1 1/2" deep into the top of the 2 x 3. I would install a 1/4"x 20 hanger bolt into the stud, then a rod coupling, then 1/4" threaded rod from the rod coupling out to the end of the 2 x 3, finally a nut and a large washer. The threaded rod drops into the slot, now you have a long bolt directly into the stud.

Like:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2x3 bolt.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	285601  

post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

is a 1/4" rod that much stronger than the wood itself? And you'd do this for every stud mount?
post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Couple of observations:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ana-pic5.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	285625  

Attached Images

post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

I know there will be some sag bc of drywall. The heaviest thing will be my kitchen mixer. Everything else is under 5-10 lbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode