Felt/Flocking? for Jewelry Box - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

View DeputyMike's Photo Album My Photos
Felt/Flocking? for Jewelry Box

I am working on the design for a standing mirror/jewelry chest for my sister and I was wondering if anybody has any advice on how/what to line the interior with? The only thing I know is that I want it black in color...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 05:26 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
In my opinion, flocking. 100%. I have never had any luck with felt but I have never had a failure with flocking. Not to put down the people that use felt, but it just doesn't work for me. Flocking, flocking, flocking.
I think that was pretty clear.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #3 of 8 Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 PM

View Woodcutterron's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyMike View Post
I am working on the design for a standing mirror/jewelry chest for my sister and I was wondering if anybody has any advice on how/what to line the interior with? The only thing I know is that I want it black in color...
Have you checked with Rockler? They have some flocking items or used to anyway. I did a little box lined with leather years ago, I just essentially stretched the leather over thin stock panels cut to just under the inside dimensions (walls, lid, and bottom as individual panels) each and glued them in, it looked quite nice.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-22-2009, 10:09 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutterron View Post
Have you checked with Rockler? They have some flocking items or used to anyway. I did a little box lined with leather years ago, I just essentially stretched the leather over thin stock panels cut to just under the inside dimensions (walls, lid, and bottom as individual panels) each and glued them in, it looked quite nice.
I use both methods, depending on the box's use. For felt or brushed velvet, I use luan door skin as a base. Some of my boxes have curved interiors. On those I use flocking exclusively....if a lining is needed, at all.
My hand gun presentation boxes are all lined with velvet over 1/8 BB. I don't think flocking would stand up to the abrasion of removing and replacing the weapon.

Gene
post #5 of 8 Old 11-22-2009, 12:58 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I think that felt is the best. In years to come when the interior needs refreshing it will be easier to remove the felt and replace.

George
post #6 of 8 Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 PM

View Colt W. Knight's Photo Album My Photos
When I buiild jewelry boxes I line the bottom of the drawer with colored foam rubber, and felt the interior sides of the drawers. I like felt because It cuts and stretches easily. The foam rubber keeps jewelry from tangling in fuzzies or getting lost in the corners.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
When I've done similar things, I've used felt. Just trim the felt to a slight over size with scissors. Then spread an even layer of yellow glue and press the felt into place. Do only a single surface at a time and trim the excess with a sharp razor blade after about 20-30 minutes.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-01-2009, 05:11 AM

View blacklabeljack's Photo Album My Photos
Ive build a few jewelry boxes and i always use velvet from rockler.. its a more expensive but it looks alot better than flocking or felt. if you want to make ring bars then use the velvet sheet and buy some 5/8 in foam from a craft store and glue them together then fold them and that makes a ring bar..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode