Drum Making - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 11-06-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
View DrummerGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Post Drum Making

I am a moderately skilled woodworking and have been a drummer in various bands for many years. I would like to try my hand at making my own drums but not sure how to go about putting a bearing edge on the shells. I need to chamfer the inside and outside edges to 45 degrees on shells ranging from 8" all the way to 26". Does any body know of a jig or design that I could use for this? I am afraid the using the bearing on a router bit would not be accurate enough to do by hand.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM
where's my table saw?
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me...not a drum maker

I would cut out a center support for the router to rest on in the various diameters and use a bottom bearing bit to ride the interior of the drum...assuming it's nice and smooth....
One large piece of plywood could be used if the diameters were 2 or 3" less than the previous ones, kinda like concentric circles.
It would need to be supported on the interior somehow with wood brackets and hot glue possibly. I donno? I'm not a drum maker...

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode