DIY L Shape Computer Desk - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

View vipersnake's Photo Album My Photos
DIY L Shape Computer Desk

Hello guys im new here and i was just trying to figure out if what i have planned will work or if its over built,

what im trying to to is an L shape Computer Desk , where ill have a couple of laptops monitor and some other stuff.

here are the pictures of the design, the width will be 7' 1 3/4" by 24"inches deep and the side will be 36"(excluding the part that overlaps) by 24 inches in depth.

the long and short frame will be joined using some bolts in case i need to move it from the computer room to somewhere else.. the rest of the frame i was thinking of just making butt joints since the only tools i have are cordless Drill and Circular saw.

here are the designs

the frame is designed using 2x4 and the desk top will be just 3/4" plywood.
The Following User Says Thank You to vipersnake For This Useful Post:
aaronhl (08-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 03:36 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Wow that is going to be one solid desk, seen workbenches built with lighter frames, it is overkill, not a bad thing but you are going to more work and expense than necessary.

Are you going to round the inside corner of the top, I have an L shaped desk and I find that is where I sit.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
― Harlan Ellison

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #3 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Considering the tools you have, your choice in materials will provide the support you need. It may seem like overkill, but the next smaller size dimensional off the shelf lumber would be too light, and could cost more than 2x4's. Pick out some good ones.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post

Considering the tools you have, your choice in materials will provide the support you need. It may seem like overkill, but the next smaller size dimensional off the shelf lumber would be too light, and could cost more than 2x4's. Pick out some good ones.

I most certainly agree with this comment. Apparently you are not interested in making a "furniture grade" desk. That is fine, you will get no argument from me.

I am sitting in front of a computer desk that is built with the same basic idea that you have. The wing is bolted to the main desk.

I built it as a piece of furniture many years ago and it has storage drawers.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
cabinetman (08-29-2012)
post #5 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 12:44 PM
ftk

View ftk's Photo Album My Photos
For what you have tool wise that should work just fine, probably overkill. You could go the route Amazon has taken for all their desks, they just attach pine 4x4's to solid-core doors with angle brackets. May be actually cheaper to build than what you have in mind, and you can just put 2 doors together for the L shape. Will be just as solid as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode