Build a cajón drum? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-12-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

View ChuckBarnett's Photo Album My Photos
Build a cajón drum?

If I can do it I will build a cajón for my grandson for Christmas. Just heard about his interest this morning and don't think I have a lot of time to research before I get going. Any ideas out there? We could buy one but what's the fun in that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-12-2016, 07:26 PM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
If I can do it I will build a cajón for my grandson for Christmas. Just heard about his interest this morning and don't think I have a lot of time to research before I get going. Any ideas out there? We could buy one but what's the fun in that?

I built one for my son a couple of years ago. It was pretty easy. I'll find the link I based mine on and post it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sbrader For This Useful Post:
ChuckBarnett (12-12-2016)
post #3 of 5 Old 12-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post

I built one about two years ago but don't recall posting anything about it. I can't really play it, or at least can't do it justice, but we keep it on stage at church and the people (drummers, percussionists) that have played it said it sounds good. I used some 3/4" Birch plywood for the top and bottom that I had from another project and the back, front, and sides are Baltic Birch, 1/4", 1/8", and 1/2" respectively. One knob engages the snares and one locks them into place. They can be adjusted for no snare, partial, or full or anywhere in between. It has a coat of sanding sealer and a couple of coats of Nitrocellulose lacquer. I took about a week to build it but if I recall the build I think you could start it one day and finish it the next if you glue up the top/bottom in a frame and internal bracing like I did - quicker if you don't do it that way.

Here are a few photos - hope this helps!

David

Nothing to do with woodworking at all, just our music at church (I'm the guy with the Koa Takamine) - Airline Baptist BC Songs
Romans 3:23

post #4 of 5 Old 12-13-2016, 01:44 PM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
The article I used as a starting point for the cajon I built for my son is:

https://www.wwgoa.com/article/build-...um-like-a-pro/

He plays it and seems to really like it.

Scott
post #5 of 5 Old 12-13-2016, 03:44 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
For those of you who are interested but can't find the time to look ... here's an impressive player getting good sound from one.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikechell For This Useful Post:
ChuckBarnett (12-13-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode