Woodworking Talk banner

1st Creation - building a desk. Need help with evaluation

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Spooky721 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first time attempting to build anything from scratch. First time using Sketchup too (lots of :furious::censored: involved for the first couple of hours), so I could really use some help.

I'd like to build a nice looking desk for my girlfriend by the end of the year. She thinks its for me but it's really for her. I want it to last a long time.

I plan on using some kind of hardwood plywood, maybe oak or birch. Whatever Home Depot/Lowes has and looks nice, really. I thought I would have the top be 2"x6" solid oak or whitewood boards until I saw how expensive it was - so the sketchup model is wrong in regards to that. I'll probably end up using some other wood.

Is this a realistic project for a noob? I think of myself as a pretty smart dude and I'm a pool technician for a living so I use a lot of tools. My main concern is with the structure and realistic-ness.

Also, I have NO IDEA how I plan on joining all this stuff together. I don't want to have any exposed nails/screws, but at the same time, I'd like to be able to (mostly) take it apart if/when we ever move. I was thinking of some kind of cam/dowel system but I don't want it to look like it came from Ikea.

If someone could take a look at my model and let me know if I'm going in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit: Disregard the different colors of the wood in this model. I just used different colors I wouldn't get confused.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks good to me. if you want to move it make the drawer section like boxes and fasten the top to with "L" brackets on the inside of drawers section. or 1x2 cleats around the top of the drawer section and screw into top. be sure when it is bolted up to have some teflon sliders on the bottom so you can move it around the room.
i just D/L sketchup and so far i have made a box and raised up and down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.