Wood Sunglasses Frames Finish- oil, wax, shellac or other? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By galcini

post #1 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

View galcini's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Sunglasses Frames Finish- oil, wax, shellac or other?

Hi I am new to this group and looking for a safe, natural finish to hardwood sunglasses frames. I have assorted hardwood veneers, such as walnut, mahogany, cherry, oak and maple. I would like to keep them natural looking, so no stain and wonder if I can get away with an oil coat, wax finish, shellac or combination, etc...

I've done some initial research and am more confused than ever and humbly request your advice.

thank you!

-gerard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8118.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	278674  

Name:	IMG_8119.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	278682  

Name:	IMG_8121.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	278690  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM

View nxtgeneration's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have a comment on the finish but those look sweet! Do you sell them?

Help support my hunting and fishing addiction by visiting my Etsy shop @ TimberAndAshDesigns.etsy.com. More items to come...
post #3 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Hi NG, thank you! Yes, this summer I hope to be in "production". I produce polycarbonate frames at the moment but want to return to my roots of woodworking. Please Google Charlie V sunglasses and check out our site. the wood frames are turning out really nice- appreciate the comment.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-18-2017, 11:09 PM

View Wayne Twaddell's Photo Album My Photos
Hi gerard/galcini:

I think you're going to have to do some trial and error. My first instinct is to recommend butcher-block conditioner such as Howard Butcher-Block Conditioner. It has some great stuff in it like vitamin E and bee's wax. But I can't be sure it will hold up to the wear of being an apparel. Polyurethane will definitely provide the best durability while keeping the natural wood look but its kind of thick and honestly I wouldn't want to wear Polyurethane glasses I don't think. So like I said at first, you'll have to conduct some experiments. There aren't a lot of people making wood framed glasses, at least not as many as there are making boxes and benches. It's fairly new so there just isn't much experience out there on finishing wood that is meant to be worn.

When you do find the magic solution I would love to know what you went with.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 06:50 AM
J L

View J L's Photo Album My Photos
Safe and natural - mineral oil. Coat it, let it soak in, wipe off excess. Since you have a lot of end grain with the plywood those areas will need more oil. 3-4 coats should do. It WILL need re-applied by the end user in the future if they want to keep the look.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice work, Gerard! It doesn't totally fit your criteria but I would lacquer those in a heartbeat.

David

Nothing to do with woodworking at all, just our music at church (I'm the guy with the Koa Takamine) - Airline Baptist BC Songs
Romans 3:23
post #7 of 11 Old 02-23-2017, 08:57 AM

View Pete House's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful craftsmanship, very unique. I cant help but think how much work has gone into just one pair.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Wayne, J L, David, Pete,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I tested 2 coats of shellac, then buffed out with steel wool. I am looking to keep it as natural as possible, and am pretty satisfied with the results. I will test out the mineral oil but wonder how long it will take to "dry" enough to be wearable. I did consider using a lacquer finish but it would need to be a spray application and I do not want to risk screwing them up with over-spray, etc.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Hi David,

I see you are a wood machinist. I ordered a small 3 axis mill (600mmx900mmx150mm) but it will be a couple months before i receive it. I am looking to use CNC to mill out these frames. Currently, I am using templates, wood shaper, spindle sander and hand tools to define the shapes. Do you have the capability to mill wood with a CNC? Would you like to quote some work? I already have some cutter paths generated for the parts and a carrier block.

thanks!

gerard
difalkner likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-24-2017, 10:21 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by galcini View Post
Hi David,

I see you are a wood machinist. I ordered a small 3 axis mill (600mmx900mmx150mm) but it will be a couple months before i receive it. I am looking to use CNC to mill out these frames. Currently, I am using templates, wood shaper, spindle sander and hand tools to define the shapes. Do you have the capability to mill wood with a CNC? Would you like to quote some work? I already have some cutter paths generated for the parts and a carrier block.

thanks!

gerard
Sure thing, Gerard. PM sent with contact info. If you didn't get to see it here's my CNC build - 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router and some other items on the CNC - http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/searc...rchid=10777401

David

Nothing to do with woodworking at all, just our music at church (I'm the guy with the Koa Takamine) - Airline Baptist BC Songs
Romans 3:23
post #11 of 11 Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
So, first - let me know when you go into production - I want a pair.

If (when) I had a pair of those, I'd wear them every day. I don't think shellac would hold up to sweat and handling. I think I'd consider a catalyzed lacquer; something tough. Even if it did detract from the natural look you're going for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode