Woodworking Talk banner

Wood Filler expanding in holes

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  raskgle 
#1 ·
I recently built a set of adirondack chairs w/ footrests. I made them out of treated [thompsonized] yellow pine. I countersunk all of the galvanized screws and filled with a wood filler [minwax], and sanded smooth. Now, a couple of weeks later, I notice that the filler is expanding out of the holes. Any ideas on how to counteract this? I have not painted/stained the chairs yet. I was waiting to season the wood a year before doing that.

Thanks in advance,

evil

#3 ·
filler expansion

Had a similar problem with a trellis I made from untreated pine. I used plugs made from scrap, but I experienced the same problem......plugs forcing their way out of the countersunk holes. Is this a pine related problem, or something I am doing wrong? I use titebond II wood glue.

Plugs or filler....it doesn't seem to make a difference. They both expand from the holes.

evil

#5 ·
wrong spot

It's not the plug or the wood filler. The hole is closing and pushing `out the fill.check the thickness of the board it will be thinner.
I recently built a set of adirondack chairs w/ footrests. I made them out of treated [thompsonized] yellow pine. I countersunk all of the galvanized screws and filled with a wood filler [minwax], and sanded smooth. Now, a couple of weeks later, I notice that the filler is expanding out of the holes. Any ideas on how to counteract this? I have not painted/stained the chairs yet. I was waiting to season the wood a year before doing that.

Thanks in advance,

evil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.