Woodworking Talk banner

Unusual finish problem with knotty alder trim

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Whatever Schafer 
#1 ·
We recently had new knotty alder doors, case and base installed in our house, and have some unusual issues with the stain/lacquer finish. The case and base material was ordered with the doors, delivered to a local painter, stained, laquered and then delivered to our job site, where it was kept inside at room temperature. We had it finished first, since we were living in the remodel during construction.

The problem is with the case material, especially with areas around some of the knots turning white. The finish is beautiful on the doors and baseboards (first photo shows a typical knot), but about 50% of the case material looks like the second photo. This whitening and blanching of the finish seems to happen mostly around the knots.

This is something that was not apparent (or maybe just not noticed) when the material was finished and delivered, and seems to have gotten worse over the last several weeks (during installation).

Any ideas on what might cause this? I'm (probably naively) hoping we can fix this in place, since all the material is already up. If not, I'll have to replace the worst pieces with some new material...I just don't want to make the same mistake over again. Not sure if it's the material, the lacquer, a moisture issue or what...

I'm hoping someone has seen this before and can advise. Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts, ideas or suggestions.

-Dale

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Its simply moisture trapped under the finish.

Try lightly wiping the surface with denatured alcohol. Use as little alcohol as possible; too much will damage the finish. May take a couple of times, but it should disappear....just be sure to take your time.

If that doesnt work, you can buy some "Blush Control" and spray it on the white areas.
https://issuu.com/touch-up_solution...og_9.0_web_rev22109_6_tp_/5?e=1151045/4578841

#4 ·
What are you cleaning it with???? There's not enough dust to been sitting in a remodel several weeks. IF I read correctly it must've not been there prior install or you (at least I) would not have put it up. Check your clean-up supplies.

Reactions: tahoedale
#8 ·
The reason I asked about what supplies were used is if the doors were finished with a fast drying finish such as lacquer it can have a bad reaction with the linseed oil in the stain if the job was rushed and the stain not allowed to dry enough. It can turn white or orange just like what your picture shows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.