Woodworking Talk banner

Solvent for Removing Stain

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cabinetman 
#1 ·
I sanded our oak dining table and stained it -- about to lacquer but I decided I went a little dark with the stain. Question: Since I applied stain 3 times, it's on there pretty heavy, and I'd like to wipe off what I can before sanding. What would be the best solvent for doing that?

Naptha? Lacquer thinner? Other???

Thanks for any help!!

#2 ·
stripping stain

I would strip the stain with a chemical stripper. When I do refinishing for my customers and make a stain mistake I use a commercial grade remover, however you will have good results with products you find at local home depot type stores. This way you may not need to sand and restart the whole process. The stripper might remove just enough of the stain to get the desired color you were looking for.

Linda

#4 ·
I would strip the stain with a chemical stripper. When I do refinishing for my customers and make a stain mistake I use a commercial grade remover, however you will have good results with products you find at local home depot type stores. This way you may not need to sand and restart the whole process. The stripper might remove just enough of the stain to get the desired color you were looking for.

Linda
Oh Linda - your link didn't open because you spelled "woodworks" as "woodorks", in your link. I'm guessing the correct link would be http://www.lockhartwoodworks.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.