Woodworking Talk banner

Small Cup for siphon feed gun

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  ColorStylist 
#1 ·
I have a pretty nice siphon feed spray gun that I'm thinking about pressing back into service. It's rare for me to spray more than a couple of ounces of finish at a time. So, I'd like to replace the quart cup with something much, much smaller. Any suggestions?

#6 ·
Its not too bad. Just pour out what your spraying, pour in water if using waterbased, or acetone or lacquer thinner for anything else your spraying. Pour in like a cup into the quart, swish it around a bit, then pour that out. Add about another quart of what your using to clean it out, put the siphon gun back on, and pull the trigger to clean it out. I always pull the trigger for a couple of seconds, then put a rag over the tip and pull the trigger as this will blow back into the cup, then move the rag and pull the trigger again. Easy Peasy.

Here is a video.....this guy just dont care, LOL!

#13 ·
#12 ·
Here's the whole system expained

Thanks to Rick for making me curious enough to look further into the 3M PPS system:

Reactions: WesTex
#14 ·
I haven't used a siphon gun in many years. I prefer the gravity cup with the PPS (price is no object, nothing but the best for me, I'm worth it!) By the way I think you pay the $150 pretty quickly just in solvent savings since the gun is so much easier to clean. Also you can re-use the liners many times if you're using the same coating or if you just rinse them out and you can use every drop of finish in the cup.

#15 ·
I use a gravity and a siphon gun. It just depends on what Im spraying at that particular time. Looking a pic of it, it just seems to me that the PPS on a siphon gun is extremely tall and would be awkward to spray the inside of a cabinet for example. Most cup guns are around 12 inches tall....I think that piece looks to add 2 inches to the over all height.

Im lucky as I dont have to worry about wasting finishing materials and solvents, but if I did, I would invest in a gravity PPS like you have in your arsenal!

For Quickstep, if you want to try the PPS out on a siphon gun, I did find the fitting you will need here for $18.25.
https://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PPS_Adapter_Type_18

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.