Shellac on MDF?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

View TxDade's Photo Album My Photos
Shellac on MDF??

Can shellac be used on MDF? I just finished my second WW project and wanted to "protect" with some sort of finish. It is made of Pine and MDF. It will be used for Miter saw, router table, ect. ( I added a power switch to it yesterday ). I am thinking about using shellac as the finish and am not sure if its safe for use on MDF. I live on the South Texas Gulf Coast where the humidy is normally above 90%. I have Poly but wanted to try something different. The shellac I am looking at is Bulls Eye Amber Shellac from our local Lowes store. Any comments pro or con will be appreciated. Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rolling Garage Bench (19).jpg
Views:	746
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	37079  

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM

View chemmy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDade View Post
Can shellac be used on MDF? I just finished my second WW project and wanted to "protect" with some sort of finish. It is made of Pine and MDF. It will be used for Miter saw, router table, ect. ( I added a power switch to it yesterday ). I am thinking about using shellac as the finish and am not sure if its safe for use on MDF. I live on the South Texas Gulf Coast where the humidity is normally above 90%. I have Poly but wanted to try something different. The shellac I am looking at is Bulls Eye Amber Shellac from our local Lowes store. Any comments pro or con will be appreciated. Thanks...

LOL, well this ought to make c'man happy,

Though I'm a great admirer and user and defender of shellac, in this case there are 3 main problems. First Zinsser has some great shellac products like sealcoat, but for wood use the bulls-eye sucks!! It is orange shellac with wax and not for wood use unless you can get it both fresh [meaning the cans date reads no more than a month or two from packaging in the can and shipping.], and you use it by itself.

2) if you decide that your not happy with it, you'll find that poly especially will not adhere well to it, nor some other finishes.

3) having lived in south Florida and worked briefly in southern to mid Texas for a while when it was 116 and 90+ humidity, The only way you can successfully spray it without blushing is to add n-butanol or n- propanol to retard it, and you can't do that when using a spray can. Even if you could, it would slow down the drying dramatically since a good deal would be needed in such weather.

In this case i would highly recommend a poly, both for quick build, anti-blushing, and water/humidity/and heat protection also.

From my personal view point, i probably would have purchased some nice burl laminate or other, and just applied that, instead of any coatings except maybe for the edges, which i probably would have done in black, seeing it's a utilitarian piece for the shop.

Chemmy.

Last edited by chemmy; 01-30-2012 at 10:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemmy For This Useful Post:
TxDade (01-30-2012)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

View TxDade's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the input. I guess I will probally just go with the poly then. I can use it on both surfaces. I am glad I asked about the Bulls Eye brand shellac. I wasn't sure if it contained wax or not, it wasn't listed in the discription on the Lowes web page. I did read about the wax being bad for wood products. I am even leaning towards not applying any finish at all, just use it as it is. I am sure it would last for years with just bare wood. I appreciate your comments, thanks for the help.

Dave
post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 PM

View chemmy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDade View Post
Thanks for the input. I guess I will probally just go with the poly then. I can use it on both surfaces. I am glad I asked about the Bulls Eye brand shellac. I wasn't sure if it contained wax or not, it wasn't listed in the discription on the Lowes web page. I did read about the wax being bad for wood products. I am even leaning towards not applying any finish at all, just use it as it is. I am sure it would last for years with just bare wood. I appreciate your comments, thanks for the help.
Your welcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode