Woodworking Talk banner

Removing Tung Oil Finish

13K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  FoamieOmie 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a Koa wood snare drum shell that has a gloss tung oil finish. There are is a scratch that needs sanded out and there are some brush hairs in it (scratch may be where a brush hair was and then removed?) The wood and construction is beautiful and I think the guy who made and finished it was just rushed so I'm not gonna start throwing out negativity but needless to say I'm gonna need to put some time into getting it right. What is the best way to remove the tung oil? Will just sanding be sufficient? Should I use steel wool first to see if that helps? Going to Lowes today so any help would be awesome!

Thanks,

Todd

#4 ·
I really cannot say for sure since I do not know if the builder used pure tung oil or a tung oil with varnish in it. If it is pure tung oil, I would think a localized repair is all that would be needed. if it is a tung oil/varnish mix, you are probably better off sanding the entire drum.

Here is a decent link for tung oil - http://www.woodworkdetails.com/Knowledge/Finishing/Tung-Oil.aspx

#5 ·
Thanks for the help! I actually just ran some 0000 steel wool over it and after a little work the scratch came out. Must have been in the finish. Kinda confused cause it's oil and I thought that soaked in more. The guy said he used a high gloss tung oil. I have some Formsbys and I'm gonna add a few more coats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.