Refinishing Window Sills - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

View Billct's Photo Album My Photos
Refinishing Window Sills

Hello to all.

When I built my house about 20 years ago I stained the woodwork and applied three coats of satin polyurethane (Minwax). The house is a passive solar place and after all these years the window sills have taken a beating from the sun. The poly has dried out and has left the wood exposed pretty much. As an experiment I sanded a windowsill then restained it because I had removed much of the surface coloring then reapplied polyurethane. It came out a little darker than the rest of the original window casing which is OK with me, it's not really that noticable, but...........parts of the original polyurethane which was not removed either from the sun or me sanding now look blotchy and yellowish. It's mostly near the edges or in portions where the sun has not attacked the original coating.

Is there any good method to remove the original polyurethane other than sanding the heck out of everything? I know if I try to sand just these small areas I'll end up messing up the surrounding area too. Or is there a better overall way to address this problem? Maybe re-applying poly is not the best solution, I was just trying to match the original woodwork.

Thanks, Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-13-2009, 07:01 AM

View Just Bill's Photo Album My Photos
Only ways I know of to remove old poly: sanding, scraping, paint stripper.

I forgot: heat gun.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Bill,
I don't know of an easy way either. In addition to what just Bill said, maybe a detail sander would help. I would think about using something like a marine varnish when you redo these. It would be a bit more resistant to UV rays and should hold up better. Damn bright shiny thing up in the sky....
Mike Hawkins
post #4 of 4 Old 05-13-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

View Billct's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the comments, I never thought of a heat gun..........that's worth a try. Geez....I was hoping someone would have a magic bullet to get this stuff off. Solar houses are nice but the furnature and woodwork takes a beating from it.

I'll give the heat gun and a scraper a try and see if that softens it. Thanks for the marine varnish idea also, I'll look into it. Do you know if varnish can be applied over poly just in case I miss a few spots?

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode