Questions on finish for a box - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

View hazex3's Photo Album My Photos
Questions on finish for a box

Greetings all,

This is the first wood project I have ever done. Anyway, what I have is an old box - its actually a old Rolodex that was tossed in the trash, so I salvaged it.

Christmas is coming up so I had the thought of making a neat little box for the old lady. So far all I have done is removed the old ugly hinges and sanded the box down. The old hinges didn't allow the box to close flush.

What I envision is a dark glossy or semi gloss finish - like a stain finish that is glossy. I would like the wood grain to come through, but I do want the box to be dark almost black in color.

For the top of the box - I am going to transfer a photo of the lady onto it. Using this method

http://www.wimp.com/woodenpicture/

I guess the glossy finish would also have to go over the picture as to keep it consistent. I would also be bringing the stain or what ever I use up to the edges of the very top and on the edges of the top as well. This should create a small frame for the picture.

Now, the issue I am having is, I am not sure (consider me a complete finish idiot) on if I should stain it, and then how would I go about making that glossy? Is their an easier way to complete this project?

Also - If I stain the box really as dark as I would like to, should I stain the top of the lid as well? where the picture will be going? How is the color underneath going to effect the photo?

So other then the video I linked to and what I have envisioned, I have no way to accomplish this task. I will be going out and shopping for some "neat" or decorative hinges that I like.

Some help from somebody who has understood my goal would be great and much appreciated!!

Thanks!

P.S., I will also be building a magazine rack for the lady out of pine, that I would stain dark as well - so this box is kind of a learning experience.

I can't upload pictures to the forum, so I'll share what I have on flickr so far - I've actually done some more sanding and cleaned the old finish off.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/hazex3/sets/72157628070651178/show/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-06-2011, 10:21 PM

View Cedar fly's Photo Album My Photos
I would go with either a red mahogany stain or ebony. They will both be dark, ebony being a little more, but the red mahogany has a nice red tint. If I were you I would stain and finish the entire box and then add your photo. Unless your photo is very dark then you'll be fine.
To finish I would go with semi-gloss polyurethane, but make sure you are careful because oil-based often wants to run. Hope I was of help

Got Wood?
The Following User Says Thank You to Cedar fly For This Useful Post:
hazex3 (11-08-2011)
post #3 of 13 Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM

I just checked out your pic thread and it may be best to leave the spot for the picture clean and poly over it.

Got Wood?
hazex3 (11-08-2011)
post #4 of 13 Old 11-07-2011, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar fly View Post
I just checked out your pic thread and it may be best to leave the spot for the picture clean and poly over it.

Thank you!! You don't think the contrast between the dark stain and the lighter wood on top will look cheesy?

Also I should be able to seal up the entire box with the "semi-gloss polyurethane", picture on top and all?

At this point - I'm still brain storming ideas. I think I'll be burning a Bible quote into the bottom on the lid with an soldering-iron. Not sure if I am going to try and line the inside of the box or not yet. I might just stain the inside of the box as well.

This is a "first-project" so I don't mind experimenting, but at the same time it is a gift or will be at some point
post #5 of 13 Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM

The contrast shouldn't matter since you plan on putting the picture on top. As for polying over it I would be sure the picture has completely dried out first. On the inside it all depends on what you plan to put in the box. You are also going to put atleast 3 coats of poly, sanding between each, for a smooth finish. The more, the smoother.

Name:  image-2863774529.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  28.5 KB

This is what I use. It also comes in spray but for a box I would go with brush

Got Wood?
hazex3 (11-08-2011)
post #6 of 13 Old 11-08-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the information Cedar.

This Friday is a holiday, so I am going to some shopping for hinges, semi-gloss, a dark stain for the outside and a lighter one for the inside, and a wood-burning/writing kit. For the Bible verse I want to put on the inside.

I'll keep this thread updated with the progress.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 03:17 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
That photo transfer is really cool. Do you have more detail on that? Have you tried it for practice yet? Is that normal photo paper or an inkjet print from a computer? I couldn't read the name of the medium. I have used Mod podge before, when I was a kid. Didn't know they still made it
post #8 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

I haven't looked into it more yet - but according to a friend there is a way to get a transfer done using a regular printer and just regular paper. That is my phase 2 of research once I get the coloring and hardware finished.

I'm going to poke around with different photo transfers.. - I'll post back here with what I found.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 PM

Lookin forward to see it. Let me know how the woodburning goes. That is something that I want to try soon.

Got Wood?
post #10 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 AM
DST

Did a little research. Found out to use a laser print. Still looking for the gel medium
The Following User Says Thank You to DST For This Useful Post:
hazex3 (11-10-2011)
post #11 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

I ended up going to Michael's today and picking up a wood-burner (Pyrography - sounds better) -it came with four different tips. Think I will practice some before actually trying it on the box. Got a 3x5 card cut down to size to work as a stencil to stencil in pencil then I plan on just tracing the pencil with the wood-burner.

I also picked up some cheap trim/molding pieces for the base of the box and also for the top. I am planning on staining these the same color as the inside of the box and the main part of the box will be darker. I also plan to burn and just stain right over the burning - not inside the burn but around it.

Then at some point I'll do the photo-transfer. I need to find the picture I want and then edit it with a blurry boarder before printing it up. I think that way, the picture will shade into the darker stain better. I still haven't found the hardware I want yet. I should be doing that Friday along with picking up the stains and semi-gloss.

DST - would you mind sharing the information when you can, as I will probably just use that method as it saved me from having to go get something printed.

Thank you!
post #12 of 13 Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM
DST

http://matsutakeblog.blogspot.com/20...-wood.html?m=1
One of many I found with a "picture transfer to wood search"
This one is inkjet. Several examples also on YouTube including one that said to use laser print.
I'll let you know if I have success with the trials
post #13 of 13 Old 11-12-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

I finally got around to doing some research it seems there are many ways to go about an image transfer.

http://www.ebsqart.com/Education/Art...e-Transfer/37/

The simplest I think is going to be a heat transfer since - I can print the pictures at work (no home printer) with a laser jet printer.

I've decided I am going to have to probably stain the very top of the box where the picture is going because it would be too much contrast and a 3rd color on the exterior of the box.

Managed to get the hardware yesterday along with some stains. Going for "Antique Cherry" for the inside of the box - the trim accents and potentially the top of the box. Using "Espresso" for the outside. I'm not a huge fan of espresso finish, but the lady is and this is for her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode