Polyurethane not drying? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-21-2010, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

View daviddoria's Photo Album My Photos
Polyurethane not drying?

I put two coats of this stuff:

http://www.minwax.com/products/oil_b...yurethane.html

on some birch ply and let it dry overnight. It is still super tacky to the touch. Do I just have to wait longer, or is it never going to dry? If it is never going to dry, can you remove it?

Thanks,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 AM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Temperature and humidity have quite a bit to do with drying times of most finishes. Urethanes generally take a little longer than most.
Give it another day or so.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-21-2010, 10:03 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
"I put two coats of this stuff:" how did you do that if it isn't drying? spray? was the first coat dry. like tony said, temperature in winter months might mean you have to turn the heat up.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

The first coat wasn't TOTALLY dry, but I believe it was much dryer than the second. I put both coats on with a foam brush.

Ah, I didn't realize the temperature mattered so much. It has been out in my un-heated garage (and I'm in NY). I brought it inside, we'll see how it does in this temperature.

Dave
post #5 of 10 Old 02-21-2010, 01:15 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddoria View Post
The first coat wasn't TOTALLY dry, but I believe it was much dryer than the second. I put both coats on with a foam brush.

Ah, I didn't realize the temperature mattered so much. It has been out in my un-heated garage (and I'm in NY). I brought it inside, we'll see how it does in this temperature.

Dave
I'll betcha that'll make all the difference. I had the same problem a couple weeks ago when i was finishing a toy fire truck. In frustration I brought it inside and put it in our furnace room. Dried hard and fast.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 PM

View Rory's Photo Album My Photos
Poly not drying solution.

You did not say where you live, but in some states such as California Minwax uses a different formula for thier poly in order to comply with environmental regulations. I ran into the exact same problem with a floor that would not dry. What happens is this.....Poly is supposed to harden as the thinner evaporates but in your case the thinner in the can probably evaporated too quickly for it to harden due to humidity or temperature conditions. What you need to do is apply a thinner or mineral spirits to the finish. When I did this with my floor I wiped it on with a soft cloth. As the additional thinner evaporated the poly hardened . You may want to repeat this process a couple times, but it will work. You should notice results withing 24 hours of wiping of the spirits. Hope this helps you.

Rory - The Greentiques Solution Guy

Please visit my blog at http://thegreentiquessolution.blogspot.com/ It is for people who are interested in working with their hands, stimulating the economy, and cleaning up the planet.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Interesting Rory, I'll keep that in mind.

Update - After 15 hours in the cold garage, it was still very tacky. I brought it inside, and it was totally dry within 2 hours!! I guess I'll setup all my drying areas inside from now on :)

Dave
post #8 of 10 Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Interesting Rory, I'll keep that in mind.

Update - After 15 hours in the cold garage, it was still very tacky. I brought it inside, and it was totally dry within 2 hours!! I guess I'll setup all my drying areas inside from now on :)

Dave
If you look on the can it should be spelled out. Do not store or use below this temperature usually like 50* I think. I often wondered how you guys in the north got around stuff like that. Most of that stuff is meant to be used outside or with a well ventilated room which I guess would be below 50* most of the winter.

Amazing how we overlook the simple stuff sometimes.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 04:43 AM

View testarossa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
If you look on the can it should be spelled out. Do not store or use below this temperature usually like 50* I think. I often wondered how you guys in the north got around stuff like that. Most of that stuff is meant to be used outside or with a well ventilated room which I guess would be below 50* most of the winter.

Amazing how we overlook the simple stuff sometimes.
Yeah, I think too.. It's the temperature..
post #10 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Dave

Each application of a finish should be dry completely before recoating. For oil base finishes I would rather use a wipe on variety, or to brush on with a good natural hair brush (like badger hair). I find using a foam brush has the tendencies to put too much or not enough down, prone to make and/or leave bubbles, and difficult to draw out the finish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode