Four steps to Finish New Wood Carsiding - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

View soniferry's Photo Album My Photos
Four steps to Finish New Wood Carsiding

1 Decide the texture and color you desire. If the carsiding you used has the color and texture you want, then a simple clear polyurethane will work. Buy enough to do a couple of coats and a sealant coat. Want a different color? Find a varnish that you desire and use it instead.

2 Seal the wood with a wash coat first. This can be purchased at the same place you buy your poly, or you can mix it yourself by mixing 20 to 30 percent varnish or poly to paint thinner. Apply evenly and allow to dry. This will not only seal the wood a little better, it will keep the poly from soaking into the wood, making your job easier. It also allows for a more uniform coating.

3 Use the poly to finish the wood carside by applying it in small sections and wiping it off. Repeat this process over and over until you have reached the desired color and texture.

4 Watch carefully as you go through the process to make sure you are applying the poly or varnish evenly. This could be a little challenging but is necessary to have one consistent color and texture across the entire wall. Allow it to dry completely before deciding if it needs done again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Soni,
I hope I'm not the only one drawing a blank here, but what are we talking about with 'carsiding'?
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 7 Old 02-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I think what he is referring to is basically 5/8" or possibly 3/4" T&G pine that can be used for projects like ceilings.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
CB,
Ok, I know what that is. I wish these English guy would speak English. I've been waiting awhile to use that one. I met a British couple while on vacation last November, and just finished a kitchen for a local British couple. It is a lot of fun comparing different terminology for common items.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 7 Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Just remember that the next time you go to visit your British friends that you have to actually "knock them up" when you do.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Do they still have WOODYS in the UK? maybe he's talking about a real car side panel.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #7 of 7 Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 PM

View Fox E's Photo Album My Photos
Carsiding reminds me of an old (wood) joke. Perhaps it should not be in this thread, but here goes: In the 60's, a guy bought a Ford country squire station wagon (with the wood trim.) A few weeks later he happened to meet his car salesman at the grocery. "How do you like that Ford?" the salesman asked. "She's great, plenty of room for the kids and no problems. However, I do think it looked better when it was still in the crate". Car siding ??

The Lead Dog has the Best View!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode