Woodworking Talk banner

fixing plywood

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MinConst 
#1 ·
i have a problem, i sanded through the veneer on a plywood top. AHHHHHH!!!!! what do i use to blend this in with the rest? Dye? Japan colors? Stain?
Please help!
austin

#2 ·
ahhh, start again with a new top? I don't know of anyway to fix that unless you want to try to do some inlay work. Maybe someone else has an Idea.

The dye, stain, and any other color idea is not going to hide the sand through, because the grain under the veneer is going the other direction.

#10 ·
That should be fine. If your good with color and good with a fine brush you can do this. When you get the patch colored. Put a very very light coat of finish on and let it dry. The next coat can be a bit heavier, and then you should be able to apply the finish as normal. You want to seal this in with very thin fast drying finish so you don't allow the fix to blister or run. Good luck

#7 ·
I am thinking that the best thing to do is make a patch using a peice of ply (veneer) Find a piece that has grain similar to that around the damaged area. Cut to size, route out the area and glue the patch in.

Not knowing what the top is going on/is on, you could even use a contrasting veneer and do the same thing in matching areas (depending on exact location) that way it looks like it was done on purpose. Make some design to make it decretive.

#8 ·
That's my remedy too. I cut the veneer and the inlay area to "flow" with the grain and character of the wood. Doing this works well if the veneer is laid on the ply, and the pattern is cut as one, with a very sharp knife, like an exacto knife. I would use a chisel to create the bed for the veneer. The cut line will have a tendency to darken with stain or finish . Try to get as tight a fit as possible and use care along those lines (literally).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.