child safe finish - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

View Ron Kinel's Photo Album My Photos
child safe finish

I am going to start building a crib I was wondering what type of finish I should use and what to avoid I was thinking of using a polyurethane for easy cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 PM

View toddj99's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kinel View Post
I am going to start building a crib I was wondering what type of finish I should use and what to avoid I was thinking of using a polyurethane for easy cleaning.
i've never built a crib but i know pure tung oil is nontoxic. the home depot brand of minwax tung oil finish is not tung oil. pretty much anything that states "tung oil finish" is not tung oil but a combination of tung oil, varnishes, etc and could possibly be toxic.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Future Master Craftsman

View bsharding1982's Photo Album My Photos
I've always heard Shellac. According the the link Walnut Oil is also good. Also, it looks like from page 53, there could be toxicity problems with Tung Oil. http://books.google.com/books?id=jav...hl=en#PPA54,M1

*Woodworker in Training*
http://brent.harding.home.comcast.net/
post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Ron, maybe I can help you out with this one. I am in the process of building a crib for my new baby to be. Thread link My baby crib to be...

I have done hours of research on crib specs and types of finish to use. Everything I have read pretty much says that most finishes after they have dried and evaporated are non toxic. With that being said, there's a first time for everything and I'll be darned if my baby is gonna be the first to get sick from chewing on some poly. So what I have decided to do is use a rub on poly on the main/frame parts of the crib and use Shellac anywhere the baby could possibly chew. I haven't gotten to the point yet to start the finish but when I do I'll be posting info about it in my thread. What type of crib are you building and when is the baby due?

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
post #5 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighteremt153 View Post
Hey Ron, maybe I can help you out with this one. I am in the process of building a crib for my new baby to be. Thread link My baby crib to be...

I have done hours of research on crib specs and types of finish to use. Everything I have read pretty much says that most finishes after they have dried and evaporated are non toxic. With that being said, there's a first time for everything and I'll be darned if my baby is gonna be the first to get sick from chewing on some poly. So what I have decided to do is use a rub on poly on the main/frame parts of the crib and use Shellac anywhere the baby could possibly chew. I haven't gotten to the point yet to start the finish but when I do I'll be posting info about it in my thread. What type of crib are you building and when is the baby due?

You're right about a cured finish being "safe". If you're concerned, you could just use a mineral oil finish. Some species of wood can be toxic all by themselves. There's also the possibility that the baby could be "allergic" to some specie that's not commonly known to be toxic.

Another suggestion would be to keep the baby well fed.

post #6 of 11 Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 PM

View jerry's Photo Album My Photos
If you have any concerns use shellac. It is used on time release medications and is or was used on M&M candies.

Regards

Jerry
post #7 of 11 Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 AM

View Charles Neil's Photo Album My Photos
Excellent responses ,it is true no known cured finish is toxic once it has cured,herein lies the issue,mineral oil is nontoxic,it also remains wet and offers almost no protection,pure oils are about the same,while they do dry they take forever and then do not dry hard...minwax polyoil,shellac,waterlox oils,General finish oils ,as well as their gel finishes,and any good waterbase finish will do well, Shellac is without question is a proven winner for kids...I personally like a coat of shellac, followed by a couple coats of gel...looks good,fast and easy and your child will be safe...congrats on the babies...my grandkids are almost grown....feeling my age here
post #8 of 11 Old 03-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
How tough is it to use the Shellac, I have never been around the stuff?

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
post #9 of 11 Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 AM

View jerry's Photo Album My Photos
If you have never used shellac it might be easier to apply it with a pad(rag) rather than a brush.

Regards

Jerry
post #10 of 11 Old 03-30-2008, 12:55 PM

View Charles Neil's Photo Album My Photos
Jerry is correct,its pretty easy actually,you can get the spray can stuff ,if you dont have spray capability, or just wipe it on,it dries fast, but you do want a dewaxed shellac, Seal Coat by Zinnzer is very good..do not use a sponge brush or painters pad as the alcohol will dissolve them..only a cotton type cloth or a natural hair brush...cleanup is with denatured alcohol...
post #11 of 11 Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM

View jayelwin's Photo Album My Photos
Tung Oil is non-toxic.

Go to the Real Milk Paint Company web site and get Tung oil and their Citrus Solvent. The citrus solvent is a non toxic version of mineral spirits. Tung oil is from a nut that grows in china. It might not taste good, but you could fry an egg in the stuff. It's FDA approved for use in food contact. I'm not an expert but I just finished some wood with the stuff and was very impressed. You do need 100% tung oil, theirs seems very good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode