Cabot Stain vs Olympic Stain - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

View hgiljr's Photo Album My Photos
Cabot Stain vs Olympic Stain

Hello. So I visited my local Lowes store today to get a Cabot semi transparent stain in a color of choice. So the paint clerk decides to mix the paint using an Oil Based base Semi Solid. I explained to him that I did not want Semi Solid but Semi Transparent. So the guy goes of telling me that it is the same thing, just the naming. I explained to him that I did not feel comfortable buying something where it says on the can Semi Solid. So he then showed me the Olympic Maxium Stain Brand they carry where they have both gallon cans, Semi Transparent and Semi Solid. Two questions here:
1. Is the Semi Solid base the same as Semi Transparent as explained?
2. How good is the Olympic brand when compared to Cabot?

I am mainly looking for a stain/sealer for my outdoor furniture which is under a covered roof but with direct sunlight during the morning and part of the early afternoon. Any info appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-09-2010, 05:17 PM

View Rob_Cali's Photo Album My Photos
I have had great success with Cabot semi transparent stain. I have 7443 (Cape Cod Gray) Decking Stain and 7400 Clear that I mix together before application. No where on the can that I have does it say solid or transparent. I have also used Olympic and the Cabot seems to hold up better and last longer. Full sun all day long in California and the vertical surfaces are going on 5 years and I have to restain the horizontal every 3 (sometimes 2 in heavy traffic areas). I also had to go to a paint store for the decking stain as the Lowes near me didn't carry it at the the time.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Dust Bunny

Location: Caught between the longing for love and the struggle for the legal tender
View cusingeorge's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah, buy this stuff:

http://www.storm-shield.com/

It ain't the years honey, it's the mileage
-Indiana Jones
post #4 of 5 Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 AM

View JW_in_Indy's Photo Album My Photos
Both are big box store brands which tend to be manufactured to hit a price point and not much more. IMHO, I would go to your professional paint store and see what they have available. You'll generally get a higher quality product that tends to be easier to use, lasts longer and looks better than the cheap stuff from the big box stores. I just used some of this: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i...lear_topcoats/ to do a picnic table and it turned out great.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
cabot is a better product, but if you want a profesional coatin go with penofin is expensive but worth it. some other less expensive sealers are cupernol or ducks back they work well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode