Woodworking Talk banner

Advice on Where to Get Antiques Help

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  GAF 
#1 ·
I have refinished many chairs but have never seen chair braces quite like the ones shown in the pictures below.

If anyone can elaborate on this type of antique furniture making please do.

Is there a recommended site to which I can direct questions regarding antique furniture construction and features?

Thank you.

Gary

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's just one manufacturers idea of a joke. Those are one of the poorest ideas for corner brackets as you can see they tend to break off instead of holding the chair together. The chair comes loose and you need to reglue it but the corner braces have to be torn off to make the repair. I've seen that often but I don't have a clue who was the manufacturer.

#5 ·
It depends on what you mean by antique. Most of the furniture I've built is an antique according to the standards on this continent. In Europe it has to be 100 years old before it begins to be considered an antique. Over here it's 25 years. I've done a lot of work for antique shops in my area and they were buying containers of what was considered used furniture and selling it here for antiques just because it was made in the 1950's or later.

#6 ·
Actually, several manufacturers used this type of corner brackets on chairs. Ive seen them exclusively on chairs being built in Slovenia and other overseas "furniture" builders.

I have repaired them by simply drilling a pilot hole through the corner blocks on each side, apply glue, reinstall corner blocks into the "grooves", and screw them back on for much needed support, being careful not to use too long of a screw to avoid the screws going through the chair frames.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.