2 coats of tung oil now what to do? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

View lateralus819's Photo Album My Photos
2 coats of tung oil now what to do?

So i've two coats of minwax tung oil finish on my project and its cured, what should i do next? I was wanting to trying a WB poly as i've read numerous people have done. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
Be aware that the finish you applied was a mixture of BLO, varnish, and MS (nary a drop of tung oil). The varnish they use is a polyurethane formula, I believe. As such, be very sure it has cured out before applying a top coat, and you might want to scuff sand it as well. Polyurethane resins inhibit bonding, making the scuff sanding necessary. Any top coat will adhere, but knowing what the goal is would make it easier to comment on alternatives. Can't tell what that piece is in the pic, but that is some mighty purty wood!

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #3 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hargis View Post
Be aware that the finish you applied was a mixture of BLO, varnish, and MS (nary a drop of tung oil). The varnish they use is a polyurethane formula, I believe. As such, be very sure it has cured out before applying a top coat, and you might want to scuff sand it as well. Polyurethane resins inhibit bonding, making the scuff sanding necessary. Any top coat will adhere, but knowing what the goal is would make it easier to comment on alternatives. Can't tell what that piece is in the pic, but that is some mighty purty wood!
Thanks for the swift response, basically its an enclosure for my guitar amplifier. I'm just looking for a way to make the wood look as pretty as possible although it looks MIGHTY fine right now!! It's going to be indoors at all times so the elements aren't a concern. And it won't be subject to "abuse".

post #4 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would have used the poly instead of the tung oil. The tung oil is intended to be the finish and needs nothing else. At this point if you are going to put a film coating on it I would use oil based polyurethane on it.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus819 View Post
I'm just looking for a way to make the wood look as pretty as possible although it looks MIGHTY fine right now!! It's going to be indoors at all times so the elements aren't a concern. And it won't be subject to "abuse".
If it won't be abused and your happy with the look, just leave it as it is. The danish oil finish (what you used) isn't the most durable, but for pieces that aren't subject to wear/tear it is a very nice finish. Anything you top coat it with may be change the appearance.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #6 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 12:06 PM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
I'd use a wiping varnish. Several light coats, then steel wool and wax/buff to a nice sheen.
Bill
post #7 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
I'd use a wiping varnish. Several light coats, then steel wool and wax/buff to a nice sheen.
Bill
what kind of wax? Automotive wax??
post #8 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
What you applied can be a stand alone finish. You could just add another application. Or, make up a wiping application with mineral spirits and an oil base interior varnish. You could use oil base polyurethane.

If you use a WB polyurethane, do as suggested in applying anything over what you have by lightly sanding with 320x. If you can, spray the WB poly, in thin applications.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Everyone talks of waxing but what kind of wax do you use?
post #10 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 03:12 PM

I can't answer for Bill, but I normally think of the paste waxes used for hardwood floors, such as http://www.amazon.com/Beaumont-Trewax-Clear-Paste-197101016/dp/B005SRV1PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345403252&sr=8-1&keywords=trewax,http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Fine-Wood-Paste-00203/dp/B0000DIWIM/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1345403283&sr=1-1&keywords=johnson%27s+paste+wax, another one might be http://www.amazon.com/Briwax-Rustic-Pine-Toluene-Furniture/dp/B0085XLHII/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1345403314&sr=1-5&keywords=Briwax, though I don't think it's a floor wax. There are other names as well, I would guess. Automotive waxes are bad juju in a wood shop, the silicone in them cause no end of problems with finishes/finishing. The wood waxes mentioned above contain no silicone. Automotive http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-241A-Polishing-Compound/dp/B0009JKGJ2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1345403490&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Dupont+polishing+compound and rubbing compounds are perfeectly safe and actually have some use for smoothing out finishes, they contain no silicone.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW, I wouldn't apply wax on any woodwork, as it's temporary fix that needs to be further maintained. it doesn't offer much in protection, and precludes any further finishing without the PITA of removal. I favor maintenance free finishes, and a wiping oil/varnish mix type application, IMO needs no wax.

post #12 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you are just using the tung oil only and you are not happy with it then I would make up a couple of samples of the finish you did on a scrap piece of wood. When dry try waxing the sample with Johnson Paste Wax and see if you can achieve the look you want. Then coat the other sample with polyurethane and see which one you like the best. If you use wax over the tung oil and don't like it then it would get really hard to put polyurethane on it after the wax so you need to be sure before you proceed.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 PM

View Wood4Brains's Photo Album My Photos
By the way: lateralus819

Thanks for posting the photos.

I remember a few weeks back you were asking about what sort of joinery to use, right?

What did you end up using?

I don't have enough experience to tell from the picture.

Thanks in advance.

I'm An Expert In Ugly!
post #14 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 AM

View slevapaul's Photo Album My Photos
It looks super cool. It gives the pretty decent look to the home by employing furniture like this. Tung oil gives the best finishing to the furniture. Thanks for sharing the nice post.

Bench seating Components
post #15 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 AM

View Ozrob's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Fred, if you like it like it is, why mess with it? I also agree with him that it's probably not Tung Oil anyway. But it does look stunning!

Regards,

Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode