Anti Kickback Rollers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

View Firewalker's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Anti Kickback Rollers

Ok, I have been using my new TS to cut sadly enough some sheathing. It has a shop fox fence on it with spring loaded anti kick back rollers. They mount to the top of the fence and only spin one direction. When I got the saw I was thinking how nice it would be to have that feature. I have found them to be a PITA as far as not being able to feed the stock like I normally would. Say on a 6 inch wide cut I would just pass my right hand past the blade......No problem/good control. With the rollers on there, this is just not happening. I have to life my hand up and over/set it back down. Doesn't seem as safe as just starting in a good position and going on about it.

Another thing about these is it makes use of a push stick tricky for the same reason on a narrow cut.

I find myself pushing on the waste side to keep it moving past the rollers then re engage the push stick. On the roller past the blade it seems like it binds unless I use some kind of abrupt move to get the stock to slide under.

These may just be adjusted too tight or positioned in a less than optimal position in relation to the blade.

Anyone else use these? You like them? Used to have them and took them off?

Here is a link to what I am talking about. Thanks for the advice.

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/anti...w--clockwise-6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 12:13 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yea, everything you said

They get in the way of hands, push sticks and won't allow a pull back-start again, which on rare occasions is necessary.
The only reason I would use them and I have some similar to those, is for repetitive (50 or more) 24" and longer rips of relatively narrow stock 2" - 6" and use the next piece as the push stick.
They are a PITA for the most part, a gimmick, and I think the new Gripper looks like a better alternative. But I don't have one of those. Basic table saw proper techique is usually better...a push shoe that allows pressure forward, down and in towards the fence. Gizmos that get in the way will cause more problems than they solve. JMO. bill
Attached Images

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-07-2011 at 10:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Firewalker (02-07-2011)
post #3 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Over the hills n far away

View Ledhead's Photo Album My Photos
I have some called board buddies, same thing you link to but different name.
They are kind of a PITA, there's a lot of cuts that you've just got to take them off. The infeed side is almost completely worthless, blocking your push stick. When I do use them it's outfeed side only. There are probably a few applications where they would be useful, but, I wouldn't buy them again, instead use featherboards on fence and TS surface.

Dale
Wentzville, MO
The Following User Says Thank You to Ledhead For This Useful Post:
Firewalker (02-07-2011)
post #4 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

I am glad to see I am not the only one thinking this.

Bill, I can see that your set up with the first one being closer to the blade would be better than mine and I could see it being good for ripping one after the other, then another...

I think I will just take them off. Maybe they will be useful at some point.

I am all for featherboards. I have used some shop made FB with good luck many times. Nothing fancy, just useful.

Thanks for the input.

Scott
post #5 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #6 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 02:21 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I looked at the first photo and thought...Niki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Sure enough! He's still with us in spirit, still givin' back.
Kinda cool and simple and pushes down after the cut where you need it. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #7 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

That is cool! Sounds like Niki was a very inventive person.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 06:13 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Really don't like anything attatched to fence,with the exception of certain non-stressful blocks N such....and even then,don't "like" it.Everytime I've been around those no-kickback rollers,it ends up with total frustraion and general pi$$ed-off-ness.Theres other ways to make TS fixtures that are worksafe for even the mildly handicapped.And yes,have done work in this area for shelter'd workshops..........It takes a different viewpoint,and looking at TS's in general WRT to safety.Sawstop co. has gone in the wrong direction,IMO for several reasons.But suggestions to their contrary goes over about as well as a a whore in church.Its that whole,"if it only saves one finger" style of discussion that just gets my goat.Sorry for the rant,think positve....keep looking at the problem.In this case...holding stock down and keeping yo fingers out of blade.BW
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BWSmith For This Useful Post:
Firewalker (02-07-2011), H. A. S. (02-07-2011)
post #9 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

I took them off last night to rip some more material. Guess what... I don't miss them. Not even a little. When I got the saw they were on the fence and I figured "hey that's a nice little add on that was paid for by previous owner" I never had anything like that on my old TS and I have only had 3-4 kickback problems total.

I will leave them off and just keep going with my previous technique.

Thanks a million for the replies.

Scott
post #10 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Useless and dangerous! Your compensating methods are dangerous, too. Never reach over a blade or put pressure on the waste side. If you had a competent person on the outfeed side of the saw, they can be used but for a single person, get rid of them. The best tip when using the fence is to watch the fence, not the blade, making sure the work stays tight all the way to the outfeed table. I wouldn't run a table saw without an outfeed table either.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

To be clear, I wasn't reaching over the blade. I had to lift my hand to go over the roller, which at the time was set pretty far back in relation to the blade, and set my hand down again close to the fence but still before the blade. To push the waste side was the only way to get past the roller. I don't usually push it at all except to keep it against the fence. These rollers were the cause of the break in my technique and that is why the thread was posted. At any rate, they are gone. The outfeed table is my next project. I have never had the space to have one so I had a helper catch the other end. Pretty tricky on some full sheets but we did what had to be done. Thanks for the reply.

Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode