Woodworking Talk banner

Working some willow

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Pauley 
#1 ·
Here's a few pics of a willow burl that I worked on yesterday.

The tree grew in Toronto and I was able to get two of the burls from it. The rest went in a chipper. :-(

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Outstanding bowl. Hope that you didn't bust a gut getting them to your shop!

Western Red Cedar is the iconic carving wood of the Pacific North west native (and others) culture.
Some of the best comes into a couple of small mills, not far down the road from me.
Comes out the other end as post & rail fencing.

#13 ·
jomarra said:
How do you burn the edge and not the inside and out? Thanks for the info, I want to try this.
It depends on how you work the piece. I do the outside first and then finish the inside.

After I've shaped the outside I remove it from my chuck. I take my blow torch and start burning the rim with the flame angled from the inside to the outside. This ensures that I don't scorch the outside of the rim too much. The inside of the bowl will get scorched but I still have to finish cut the inside to the thickness I want anyway. If the outside rim gets slightly burnt, no worries. I still needed to sand the outer side of the bowl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.