Turning Green Sassafras - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
Talking Turning Green Sassafras

Has anyone had the experience of turning green Sassafras? I must say it is really a pleasure to turn. When turning, you not only get good cuts but you also get the pleasure of it's great smell from start to finish. It also seems to be drying well. Just thought I'd share that "tidd bit".
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 08:34 PM
View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Never turned any green sassafras, just dry stuff. As a kid I remember my dad making sassafras tea from I believe sassafras roots. Tasted like root beer. I have turned green cherry and gotten that nice cherry licorice smell while turning.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Thumbs up

Firehawkmph, I think my next project is to make Sassafras tea. You are right ,it's made from the root. I was trying to remember how my mother said she fixed it when she was a girl. You cut the root, clean it and then boil it. The longer you boil it, the stronger the tea. You filter it and then drink hot or cold. Oh yes! I like turning cherry too.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 10:10 PM
View jwcole's Photo Album My Photos
This past summer,I cut down 2 sassafras trees, off my fence row. As we were cleaning up the branches my wife and little girl got a good smell of the wood and loved it. I told them about the tea from the root and they wanted to try it. I don't know if I didn't fix it right or it just wasn't for them but they didn'y care for it. But I saved a few pieces of it for the Lathe... look forward to trying it.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-08-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Thumbs up

Hi everyone. I just turned another natural edge Sassafras bowl and had the same great experience. I can't decide which I like best,turning it or smelling it ?. Thanks for viewing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode