trunks and crotchwood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
View rtindell's Photo Album My Photos
trunks and crotchwood

I was just wondering about how to go about turning parts of a trunk...I have some big sections of maple of them split into 5 limbs in one spot I know you guys turn crotch does that work with 5 piths meeting in one spot? Just turn it and pray? Any ideas would be great. Honestly not sure how I should hack these things
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 PM
View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Very carefully. Crotch wood can often have bark inclusions that run through the joint where the limb came out. These are very weak and can blow out if you don't see them.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 AM
View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
How about a picture.

The pith areas will check/crack if they have not already done so.

They will be dense, so sharp tools are required.

You could try hogging out most of the material with a grinding wheel, arbortech if you have one, several holes with Forstner bit.

I have a similar piece of a black locust log with several branch sections. This was so tough, I stopped at the stage of roughing down the outside. Likely can be done, but it would take a lot of work, lot of sharpening, etc.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 12:54 PM
View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I've gotten some of my prettiest wood from crotches with multiple piths. I've also seen a few with too many bark inclusions like John said. My approach has been to try to access the wood just above the intersection of the piths. It's not a big area in relation to the trunk section you start out with. You would have to visualize the piths running diagonally from the cut off branches down to the center of the trunk. Then try to cut away everything outside of the piths. It's not as easy as it sounds, at least for me. The inverted cone shaped core you end up with can be spectacular. Or garbage:). If that makes no sense I can try to draw a picture to explain it better.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
View rtindell's Photo Album My Photos
Name:  ForumRunner_20131004_122841.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  45.6 KB

This is a bad pic..but I can trim a lot of the limbs off yet...but was curious about the main trunk. Will try to get a better view the garage is a mess right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode