Woodworking Talk banner

thinking about getting a chuck and new lathe

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  NCPaladin 
#1 ·
hey all, even though my lathe is a loaner I think it would be smart to get a chuck of some sort (only have a faceplate now) to that I can start properly finishing the bases of these bowls. I dont know much about chucks and their differences/ features as the price goes up and was wondering if you all might have any thoughts.

Also considering buying a new lathe. Have done a bit of research and have come up with either the nova 1624 or the jet 14 42. My goal is to be able to turn large diameter outboard stuff without breaking the bank:) Does anybody own either of these lathes or have an opinion on which is best? thanks, happy turnin,
Bond

#2 ·
I have the Nova 1624 (for 2+ years) and have been very happy with it. I have no experience with the Jet. I paid 1200 for mine but the service center still has reconditioned ones for $800. Not sure how much long that price will last. http://novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm
I have Nova chucks also (4). There are chucks less expensive but jmho, if you stay with Nova, Oneway, or Vicmarc you can't go wrong. Some others brands/lines seem to get good marks in the upper end but maybe not so much on the low end.
Since you are considering a lathe also I would not get a direct threaded. With an insert type you can move to your new (larger?) lathe and only need a different insert at the worst. The site above also has their G3 and SN2 available at about $50 off.

#3 ·
I have the Jet 1642 and it is a great lathe. I've not done any outboard turning, but it will spin a heavy piece pretty easily. I have Oneway Talon chucks...work on little or big lathes, just need a different threaded insert to make them fit. I have 3, one with normal jaws, one with small jaws for delicate work and one with jumbo jaws strictly for finishing up the bottoms of bowls. Never had any problems with them.

#4 ·
Ditto on the Jet 1642. I like it very much, never had any trouble with it. I can turn a bowl up to about 15 1/2" without turning the headstock. I haven't turned anything outboard because for actuall use, a 15 1/2" bowl is a pretty good size bowl. I have put some pretty heavy wet blanks on it and haven't had any trouble turning them. The variable speed is very handy. I use a 5" vicmark chuck on it which works really well. I would recommend this lathe to anyone.
Mike Hawkins;)

#6 ·
I have 2 Jet1442VS lathes and I agree with Bill, the 450 rpm is a bit much. Other than that it's a great lathe and jet has excellent warranty service. When it comes to chucks, anything OneWay makes is going to be an excellent choice. They too have top notch warranty service. Best of luck on your investment and remember, it's a slippery slope my friend.

#7 ·
Between those two lathes i would have to go with the Nova, as far as chucks i have a Supernova2 nice chuck and two Oneway Stronghold chucks which in my opinion is the safest chuck out there. lets us know which way you go..good luck.

#8 ·
Watch your fingers??????

Hello, I would just like to say i done the same thing as you, i wanted a better Lathe and up-graded to a Record Power, i also wanted to turn large bowls, this can be done with the out-rigger attachment that you fit to the lathe stand, then just turning the headstock to allow you to put upto a 30" blank on the lathe But if you do use this, be very carefull, as i found the larger the wood, the more you got vibration, so much that it took the Chisel out of my hand and left me with 6 stitches. I was told this is a sign of a good woodturner, but take it from me it's not. So be very carefull when you first use a large blank, it's nothing like turning a small bowl blank. I have been turning for a few years, and I am very carefull and thought it would never happen. Good Luck, don't take your eye of it for a second.

#9 ·
whelp finally made the jump! Bought my first lathe yesterday. Went with the Nova 1624-44 Liked that there was a super low speed which should allow me to do the bigger stuff which is what Im shooting for. The ONLY drawback I could see on that lathe is that you have to change the belts from one speed to another. It's gonna be months before I can quit eating rommen but seems worth it to me. Thanks for all the responses, very informative everyone. Here's a question: what chuck/ faceplate? do people use to turn the super big stuff? Planning on filling legs w sand/ bolting it to the floor and seeing how big I can go! Also the outrigger attachment for the nova seems pretty ridiculous for what it is. Was wondering if there were any plans out there for a floor stand or something similar that would serve the purpose of the outrigger without costing me a third of what I paid for the lathe!... Again thanks for all the help cant wait to start turning on this thing, it looks like a blast, happy turnin,
Bond

#10 ·
Congratulations, I hope you really enjoy it. :thumbsup:
I am only familiar with the Nova brand (in larger chucks) and I have had no problem with my SN’s or SN2’s. I would go with a set of the 100mm PowerGrip jaws (up to 27” bowl or 19” depth on hollow form).
I thought I wanted to turn super big stuff and I bought the outrigger. I did turn two or three bowls pushing the 16” and nobody wanted them because of the size. I have never used the outrigger except to hold my knock out bar. I have seen quite a few post where a steel pipe was welded inside a tire rim (and 3 braces ran) and it was then filled with cement. From what people stated it works well and tilting it on edge is easy to move out of the way.
I typically only change belt speed once from where I start. On bowls I start at either the 215 or the 360 and move up to the next higher speed after rough balancing. I try to get up to the 690 range.
For spindles I just set it at either 2180 or 2900 and never change it.
You will do well to heed Dynamode’s advice, I’ve seen the Powermatic at the club start to walk some with a <16” blank.
Have Fun!

#11 ·
Message for Bond3737

Hello, I was like you, i was turning small bit's but got a Lathe that could turn a 30" Bowl, take a tip, be very very carefull when trying to turn large projects, there nothing like a 6" Bowl, the whole feel of the Lathe changes, and it's very easy to get it wrong. I did, and nearly lost a finger. I don't want to put you off of a fantastic Hobby, but it was that bad i sold my Lathe. Have fun turning the big stuff, but don't forget to check it, and make sure you turn it as slow as you can, if it's off balance, it will take the tool out of your hand quicker than you can blink. Dynamode

#12 ·
Dynamode, firstly, Im sorry to hear about that. Its good to realize and hear first hand that this can indeed be a dangerous hobby. I will be as careful as is humanly possible when turning the big stuff... are there any tips that you or others have when it comes to turning large vessels? I would imagine take it super slow, keep tools sharp, make sure to get as little vibration as possible, sand in legs, legs bolted down, low speed... what else what do I need to make this as safe as possible, let me know. Also, am totally looking forward to designing an outrigger tool rest for this thing, lemme know of any plans/ vids out there, happy turnin,
Bond

#13 ·
Dynamode, firstly, Im sorry to hear about that. Its good to realize and hear first hand that this can indeed be a dangerous hobby. I will be as careful as is humanly possible when turning the big stuff... are there any tips that you or others have when it comes to turning large vessels? I would imagine take it super slow, keep tools sharp, make sure to get as little vibration as possible, sand in legs, legs bolted down, low speed... what else what do I need to make this as safe as possible, let me know. Also, am totally looking forward to designing an outrigger tool rest for this thing, lemme know of any plans/ vids out there, happy turnin,
Bond

#14 ·
You may want to look around for other ideas on adding ballast. I did the calculation on the sand in the legs at one time and it did not appear to be worth the trouble to me. I don't think it was even 50 pounds per leg. I have never added ballast to mine, just balanced it properly but I would never attempt what you are describing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.