Ringmaster Bowls - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
Ringmaster Bowls

Here are the latest creations with my ringmaster. I used two different blanks and interchanged the rings. The one blank is solid walnut and the other is walnut, white oak, mahogany,hickory,maple, and cherry laminated together. They were both supposed to be five rings tall but I broke the top ring on the one bowl while I was sanding it. The one is 4" tall and 11" around, and the other is 3 1/2" tall and 10 3/4" around. I still like the end result though.
Name:  ringmast7.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  ringmast5.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  ringmast6.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  ringmast4.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  46.4 KB

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups

Last edited by AZ Termite; 06-30-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 AM
This Space For Rent

View slatron25's Photo Album My Photos
Those are really nice. That ringmaster is one cool tool. How thin did you turn them?

Tim
post #3 of 13 Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

The rings start out somewhere between 3/16" and 1/4" these bowls finished are about 1/16" after sanding to get them uniform.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Is ringmaster a tool that fits on only one brand of lathe or is it a stand alone tool?Itchy

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-02-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is ringmaster a tool that fits on only one brand of lathe or is it a stand alone tool?Itchy
Well both, You can get it as a stand alone tool or they make one that goes onto your lathe. They are limited to only a few lathes that they will fit on. The last time I was on their website they had added some different models. I have to say that one drawback to them is they are expensive. It is a $400 attachment. The only reason I have this one is because it was given to me with the lathe I have. My uncle decided to upgrade lathes and the ringmaster would not fit one his new lathe, so I kind of ended up with it by default. It is very cool the way it works. You have to make sure you have everything set up properly or the rings will not line up correctly. Here is a link to their site. http://www.ringmastertool.com

post #6 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 03:01 PM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
very nice, you might have just got me motivated to dig my ringmaster out a use it. it has only been used once since i own it. great job

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..

Http://www.4woodturning.com
post #7 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
You don't need a ringmaster. You can do the same thing with a parting tool. I did quite a few bowls almost 20 year ago now that way. I couldn't afford a ringmaster and id seemed more difficult to change the angles so you could change the shape of the bowl. I simply sketched out the bowls and calculated the angles and how wide each segment would be. Then I used the parting tool cut cut through. I made a special thin parting tool out of a paring knife. This was so I could make 2 passes to widen the kerf for easy clearance. It works great and you don't have to install anything on the lathe. The only thing I did was to set an angle gauge at the angle needed so I could line up the parting tool correctly.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You don't need a ringmaster.
Quote:
I couldn't afford a ringmaster
John, I agree with you on both statements. Although it is not that difficult to install the tool on the lathe or change the angles. If it had not been given to me I would not have one either. There are a lot of things I can think of to add to my shop for that kind of money. Having the Ringmaster has allowed me to do something I would otherwise probably not even attempt.

Quote:
very nice, you might have just got me motivated to dig my ringmaster out a use it. it has only been used once since i own it. great job
Thanks Jeff I'm glad I might have been a motivation to you. :) Your options are endless have fun with it.

Last edited by AZ Termite; 07-06-2010 at 01:28 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 AM

You can also do something similar with a bandsaw. I did some of those years ago and have wanted to renew my skills so I could demo that to the club. If you do a search for Bowl from a board, or Bandsaw bowls you can find info on how to do this. If you have trouble finding info I'll dig up what I found. I printed them off and took them to the shop. It might also help on making different shaped bowls using the ringmaster.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 01:41 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
Really awesome looking work!
post #11 of 13 Old 07-07-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Really awesome looking work!
Thanks KC. Life has been a little crazy lately so I have not spent much time in the shop. I got the itch to go make something a couple of weeks ago and these are where I started. I've got a few other things to post but I am going out of town tomorrow so I will do that after I get back. I spent my 3 day weekend in the shop and have some things to show.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 AM

AZ that is an eye catcher bowl for sure. I'm sure you will get a lot of compliments.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
AZ that is an eye catcher bowl for sure. I'm sure you will get a lot of compliments.
Thanks John. I am glad you pointed out that there are other cheaper ways of doing the same thing. It is always nice to look at it from another point of view.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode