Reducing Dowels - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

View DanManTX's Photo Album My Photos
Question Reducing Dowels

I need to reduce the ends of 6 inch dowel rods from 3/8" diameter to 1/4". The total length of the reduced area is about 3/4" on each end. I could use a lathe but I am looking for a much faster way to produce a large number of these. Any ideas on how to get these done more quickly? I am open to all options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 04:44 PM

View Longknife's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a router table you can make a simple jig from a piece of scrap wood. Drill a hole in it, same diameter as the dowel. Use a straight router bit, set it to 3/4" height. Rout into the the jig until you reach the hole and a little bit more. Clamp the jig to the router table. Insert the dowel in the hole and turn it a full round. Check if the reduced diameter is 1/4". If not adjust the jig and try again.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 04:45 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
seems like a router table with a radius bit would be the perfect answer --- much faster than using a lathe, and more easily done, more repeatable. You WOULD get a curved section where the end changes size, though, and if that doesn't work for you you might make a router jig that would take the dowels straight down and up against a straight bit, then just twirl them around.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 04:58 PM

View Tangelo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanManTX View Post
I need to reduce the ends of 6 inch dowel rods from 3/8" diameter to 1/4". The total length of the reduced area is about 3/4" on each end. I could use a lathe but I am looking for a much faster way to produce a large number of these. Any ideas on how to get these done more quickly? I am open to all options.

Last edited by Tangelo; 12-10-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: duplicate
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 05:02 PM

View Tangelo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanManTX View Post

Hey DanmanTX, Rockler sells a Log Tenon Maker, see attached link. If you have a router, then this might work for you.

http://tinyurl.com/2u8kqto

Or you look at a Veritas 860-5404 1/4"Dia Mini Tenon Cutter from Amazon. http://tinyurl.com/2eb3gaj

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

~Tangelo
post #6 of 9 Old 12-11-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

View DanManTX's Photo Album My Photos
All good ideas

I will need a 90 degree shoulder cut on the round edges of the dowel so I don't the think the mini tenon cutter will work but I did not know they existed - so now I do! thanks!

I am going to move forward with the router table option and a straight bit. If a homemade jig is the best option, I'll try it but wonder if there's a commercial jig that will give me more precise and repeatable results. Any ideas?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-11-2010, 01:09 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Plunge bit in the table. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../bt_plung.html . Use Aux. fence, and raise the bit 1/8" into it. Back the fence up to expose the full width of the 3/4" bit. Now you have a stop. Use miter gauge or clamp a straight piece of wood 90 deg to the fence. Advance the dowel into the bit and rotate.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 11:08 AM
havin fun gettin it done

View wdkits1's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a jig that I made suggested by Longknife that works pretty good. I can see where this would work good for other types of tenons also.

Doesn't get any simpler than that.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 AM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
I like longknifes idea and would suggest maybe using an upper cut spiral to pull your waste into the direction of the router. Nice job wdkits.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode