old wood lathe manufacturer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 10-03-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

View carldu's Photo Album My Photos
old wood lathe manufacturer

I just bought an old wood lathe. The only identification is the number 273 that appears on most of the cast iron pieces. It has two chromed tubular rails for the bed. The live center in the tail piece seems not to be original and I would prefer a dead center. The driven center seems not to be replaceable with a face plate for turning bowls. If anyone knows the MANUFACTURER of this tool, I would appreciate knowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-03-2008, 10:23 PM

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
carldu,

This sounds like an old Craftsman lathe that I have. I'm not sure about the #273 on it but the rest sounds very similar. Does it have a three speed v-belt pulley at the headstock covered with a rectangular sheetmetal box? If you can post a picture that would be a big help.

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
post #3 of 9 Old 10-03-2008, 10:24 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Record lathes have 2 round rails I don't know if there are others. I prefer live centers but if it is a record lathe it probably has a #1 morse taper so the tail center can be knocked out from the back or if it's self ejecting just crank the tailstock back until it pops out. It neither of these methods work put a wrench or anything solid between the tail center and the quill and pry it out.
The drive center on these lathes often needed a nut to be behind the center so you could back off the nut which prys the drive center out of the morse taper.
I'm purely guessing on all of this because I don't know what lathe it actually is. If you could post a photo we might be able to help better.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 12:25 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by carldu View Post
I just bought an old wood lathe. The only identification is the number 273 that appears on most of the cast iron pieces. It has two chromed tubular rails for the bed. The live center in the tail piece seems not to be original and I would prefer a dead center. The driven center seems not to be replaceable with a face plate for turning bowls. If anyone knows the MANUFACTURER of this tool, I would appreciate knowing.
Carldu Go to www.owwm.com and ask the same question. They know about old machines than the guys that built them. They are my second favorite web site.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #5 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

View carldu's Photo Album My Photos
old wood lathe recently purchased

I have posted two images of the old wood lathe I recently purchased. Ken, FYI, the headstock is NOT covered, so it may not be the one you were thinking of. John, the tail stock stationary shaft is threaded, and the tapered live center that came with the lathe was attached to the tail stock shaft using what appear to be copper tubing fittings; this is inefficient, unstable and very likely non-original. In the images, you can see these pieces lying in front of the lathe bed. The headstock has a non-removable center that is integral with the pulley shaft, so major modifications would be required to make possible any bowl turning. If anyone can tell me how to contact the manufacturer, I would greatly appreciate it. The castings have the number 273 followed by a hyphen and another number (273-1, 273-4, etc.), which may indicate that the lathe was put together from a kit. No lettering appears anywhere.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by carldu View Post
I looked up all the lathe manufactures from A to Z and I found that your lathe was made by American Machine & Tool Co, Inc in Royersford, PA. As for the year or model number, I didn't find one for you. The brand is unique in the fact the frame work of the lathe is a one of a kind. No other lathe manufactures molds their cast iron bodies like they do. And the tale adjustment handle is located inside the frame and not on the back like the other manufactures. It was the best I could do. Being an Expert is hard work.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure

Last edited by Handyman; 10-04-2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: because I can
post #7 of 9 Old 10-16-2008, 06:17 AM
No Longer Here

View power256's Photo Album My Photos
Arrow Two friends

Two friends: What is it: it weighs 500 pounds, it provides heat during the winter but hangs on the tree during the summer? ??? It is a stove. A stove that hangs on a tree? Why does it matter to you where I keep my stove during the summer. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................bu y world of warcraft gold| cheap wow power leveling| site: http://www.mmoinn.com|cheapest wow gold|buy wow gold
post #8 of 9 Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 AM

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
Carldu,

I checked out your pics and that is exactly like the old Craftsman lathe I have. Yours is just missing the headstock pulley cover.

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
post #9 of 9 Old 06-20-2009, 02:13 AM

View larrycole's Photo Album My Photos
where do you get part for that lathe,thanks

Tags
manufacturer, model 273, tubular rails, wood lathe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode