Woodworking Talk banner

Beads of Courage Box

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  44260 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm gonna be making my first Beads of Courage Box and I'm wondering what options I have to use for a finish to be safe for the children. Those who make these boxes what is generally used for a finish? I finish most of my turnings with Watco Danish oil, is this okay? Any other tips or information is also appreciated, by the way I do turn bowls but this will be my first box and lid.

#2 ·
Our turning club has made a bunch of the lidded boxes for BoC. My niece actually works for them. I use lacquer as a finish. As long as any of the hard shell finishes have been allowed to cure and the smell of the solvents in the finish have gone away, it's usually not a problem. She did ask me about different species of wood, if any would be a problem with someone with a compromised immune system. No real sure way of telling but I told her to maybe stick with something made from a basic domestic wood like maple. Danish oil would be fine, just give it time to dry before turning it in. It's a very worthwhile cause.
Mike Hawkins:smile3:

#3 ·
I have some white oak, red oak, and cedar right now that is dry to work with but I don't know if I have any big enough pieces to turn a box with with out laminating sections together. I do have red oak that I can make flat boxes out of or I may find a piece of white oak or cedar that I could power carve a flat box out of. I will get out in the wood stack this weekend and see exactly what I have and do some measuring and who knows I may make a few of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.