Wooden Board Game? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-20-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

View WoodyNoobie's Photo Album My Photos
Wooden Board Game?

I posted over in plans and no one commented so I am posting here considering it will be about joints.

So I want to make a wooden board game.
I'm planning on the board being roughly ~12"x20" or something along those lines.
I would like to make it out of something nice like Mahogany along those lines.
This brings up the question where can I get a board like 24"x24" least 1/2" thick?
Or would it be better to get some 1x6 boards cut them to length and then biscuit joint and glue together?

I see that Home Depot sells plywood thats veneered but I'm probably going to route the edges and stuff
so solid boards seem like a far better choice to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-21-2016, 07:06 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
if you have the tools, yes you can glue up the boards to make a 12x20 panel. if not, a local cabinet shop can help you.

you really only need straight edged boards, glue and clamps. if you carefully align the edges, you can sand it flat with a ros or pad sander. it will take a planer to get the thickness down to 1/2". good luck.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-21-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I just ordered clamps and a dewalt biscuit jointer tool.

I never thought about checking a cabinet marker for a panel.

My plan if I do boards with joints would be to run an 8ft board through a jointer to make sure it's flat, cut to size, biscuit joint and glue together. Sand surface down and finish it.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-21-2016, 10:19 AM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
Big Blue has glue-ups in various sizes. Even some round ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 12-21-2016, 06:17 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
I've been trying to answer ... but I seem to be experiencing the "slow site" problems complained about on another thread.
Find a "WoodCraft" store near you, if you can. It's the only place in my area that carries lumber other than pine.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyNoobie View Post
I posted over in plans and no one commented so I am posting here considering it will be about joints.

So I want to make a wooden board game.
I'm planning on the board being roughly ~12"x20" or something along those lines.
I would like to make it out of something nice like Mahogany along those lines.
This brings up the question where can I get a board like 24"x24" least 1/2" thick?
Or would it be better to get some 1x6 boards cut them to length and then biscuit joint and glue together?

I see that Home Depot sells plywood thats veneered but I'm probably going to route the edges and stuff
so solid boards seem like a far better choice to me.

You can always start with a piece of plywood and then wrap the edges with a strip of hardwood. This will give you a very flat board that you can still rout a decorative edge on. In the long run, this might be the most economical approach.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 8 Old 12-21-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Not worried about economical.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-22-2016, 10:05 AM

View saturnphive's Photo Album My Photos
I'm very new to this, but I'm pretty sure biscuit jointing is way overkill for making a flat board. I just glued up a walnut panel that one 6" and two 3.5" boards - just lots of clamps and appropriate glue. I cut them down to five 12" x 12" table tops (ended up being a six foot board at 13" wide) and each one has had three huge hole saw cuts, a handle cut, routed edges, a couple drops (like accidentally onto the cement) and they're solid as steel at ~ .5" thick. The glue is stronger than the wood so unless there's going to be a lot of torsion (twisting weight) the biscuits are probably just a LOT of extra time for a joint that no one can see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode