Tongue and Groove for TableTop? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

View cls33's Photo Album My Photos
Tongue and Groove for TableTop?

Hello,

I'm new to woodworking apart from a few woodshop classes 20 years ago, but I'd like to try my hand at making some simple furniture starting with a small console table.

I'm planning on making the top of my console table out 3 planks of 1x6 pine, with two more 1x6 pieces running in the opposite directions to make up the ends. I understand that it's pretty common to simply glue and clamp the planks together, however I'd like to ensure that the top remains flat without cupping and eliminate as much of the sanding phase as possible. Would it be of any benefit to use a tongue and groove router bit set to create a tongue and groove assembly for my table top boards?

If this turns out well enough, I'd like to expand into a larger kitchen table using 2x8 boards... in a project that size the glue up phase is even more difficult. I don't think a router bit set will cut wood that thick. How would I create tongue and groove in wood of that thickness?

Or am I simply looking at this all wrong. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If your boards are straight edged (jointed) and fit well, just butted with glue and clamps is all that's necessary. Use clamps across the boards on top and bottom (alternating) to even out the clamping. For alignment, use cauls, which are straight edged boards (like 2x4's) on edge across the boards clamped down to keep them flat.

For the ends you might be referring to "breadboard ends", which are pieces attached that allow for expansion and contraction of the longitudinal boards. Basically it can be attached to the center of the table and the ends are fitted with a slotted connection.

Instead of using a T&G profile to join the boards, using a spline would be better. The slot for the splines would stop short of the ends so they won't be visible.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 PM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
i concur cabinet

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #4 of 7 Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 AM

View Daddy's Cool's Photo Album My Photos
I am having a bit of a hard time visualizing the clamps and cauls. Any chance you can post a quick sketch or picture?
post #5 of 7 Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's Cool View Post
I am having a bit of a hard time visualizing the clamps and cauls. Any chance you can post a quick sketch or picture?

This is a sample of how cauls are used (not my photo). The actual clamping can be done with a variety of clamps. For a normal type glue up, edge clamping (drawing the boards together) is also employed. Those clamps should be alternated from bottom to the top to keep the glue up from pulling one way or another.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 AM

View Daddy's Cool's Photo Album My Photos
Would you recommend clamps similar to the photo, or are pipe clamps and parallel clamps sufficient when used in conjuction with cauls held in place with bar clamps?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's Cool View Post
Would you recommend clamps similar to the photo, or are pipe clamps and parallel clamps sufficient when used in conjuction with cauls held in place with bar clamps?

I use any clamps at hand, and whatever is the most convenient to use. Cauls can be just straight boards that can be clamped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode