Router as a biscuit jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
The Monkey's Uncle

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Router as a biscuit jointer

Is there any reason I can't use my router (with a slot cutter) as a biscuit jointer? I'd like to build a folding table for outdoors using a few 1" boards (kind of like a folding card table but nicer).

What's the proper spacing for biscuits? Preferred glue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-20-2009, 05:03 AM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
No reason you can't use the router, and is one reason you don't need a biscuit cutter. I just used regular yellow wood glue, and space them every 6-8".
post #3 of 17 Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
good question

I prefer the ease of use of a biscuit jointer over a router for this application. As far as glue, if your project will be outside then a titebond 3 would be my choice. Or you use a poly glue.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM

View fortcollinsjerry's Photo Album My Photos
the only reason I can think of not to use a router is safety. That blade is pretty exposed and will grab and jerk as you shove it against the edge of a piece of wood. I wouldn't try it!

Good used Biscuit Jointers are surpirisingly inexpensive and once you own one you'll find other uses for it. Look on Craigs list - I scored a very nice Porter Cable biscuit joiner there about a year ago for $100. There are seveal listed as I write - and that Porter Cable in MA for $150 is a steal even if you have to put out a few bucks for shipping.

Last edited by fortcollinsjerry; 05-20-2009 at 04:40 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You can use a router and a slot cutter. You'll have to rig up a stop (guide) for the base to get the slot where you want it. For that type of procedure a spline cutting slot cutter would work better, and instead of using biscuits use solid wood or 1/4" plywood.

If you are gluing wood edge to edge, just glue and clamps are all that is needed.

post #6 of 17 Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 AM
oregoncarver

View oregoncarver's Photo Album My Photos
I purchased a biscuit cutter bit from Rockler for my router. I have the router mounted on an extra router table, never had any problems with it grabbing at all.

Arthur
post #7 of 17 Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
The Monkey's Uncle

Thank you, everyone, for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
If you are gluing wood edge to edge, just glue and clamps are all that is needed.

I've been told this before by my neighbor, who says that buscuits are falling out of favor because, in some circumstances, they swell beneath the wood and raise the surface.

The boards will be glued edge-to-edge and I'll also likely have some supports beneath. Also, the table won't be very large (I haven't settled on an actual size yet, but maybe 2x the size of a regular card table and rectangular instead of square).

Should I forego biscuits all together? Really all I wanted to do was to learn something new, and I've never built with biscuits before. Pros and cons?
post #8 of 17 Old 05-22-2009, 10:14 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if you have a table saw streamwinner, but if you do, why not slot the boards from end to end and cut splines to install for the extra strength. You can also slot the boards with your router and install thin strips of plywood.

Gerry
post #9 of 17 Old 05-22-2009, 10:24 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I would not use plywood strips

Since it has virtually no strength if run parallel to its length. I would use any wood or wood laminate, but it should be run cross grain to the length of the boards for the strongest joint. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-22-2009 at 10:48 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-22-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
The Monkey's Uncle

I do not have a table saw.

If using splines, is the spacing the same as biscuits? Or would you run the whole length?

And what about a simple tongue and groove?
post #11 of 17 Old 05-22-2009, 07:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
T and G is best!

If you have the router cutters or a glue joint cutter is also great. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #12 of 17 Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
If using splines it is just as easy to run full length. If you have T and G cutter bits for your router that makes a very good joint.

Gerry
post #13 of 17 Old 05-26-2009, 01:01 PM

View Wood4Fun's Photo Album My Photos
I just cut 140 biscuit slots this weekend, took me about 20 minutes. I am glad I didn't try to do it with my router. You can pick up a biscuit joiner at Harbor Freight for $40.00. While maybe not the best choice if you are going to make a living cutting biscuit slots, I find Harbor Freight's power tools just fine for the occasional use they get from me.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 PM

View Jordy3738's Photo Album My Photos
I'd spend a few dollars and get set up the right way. The only way that I would set up a router is if I mounted it upside down on a router table and built a back stop.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 AM

View Bob156235's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Router or Biscut Jointer

Glad to see a thread on this subject! I've been thinking of getting a laminate trimmer for this sole purpose. Harbor Freight (cough, cough) sells 'em for 25 bucks! Sure, they're nothing fancy, but how fancy do ya have to be to spin a cutter bit? A 5/32nd " router bit with three bearings for 0, 10 & 20 sized biscuts is less than $50.

Who needs a 100 to $200 machine to do the work of a light, tiny, single-hand controlled tool? After some initial practice, the reaction of the tool when the cutter hits the wood will be easily overcome and mastered by lovers of the trade.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 06:41 PM

View woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
If you own a craftsman router, they make a biscuit cutter jig for their routers. I used one years ago and it did just fine. I went to Dewalt because I got tired of changing the jig every time I wanted to use the router for something els.

Cutting them by hand is also ok in my opinion as long as you watch what your doing. As for the whole spline ordeal, I've done that and for me, that is a total pain and I won't do it again. Once was one too many times imo.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 PM

View Kral's Photo Album My Photos
Bevel Joints

I have used a Biscuit Joiner for making bevel joints. However, it is tricky to align the base of the joiner with the edge of the beveled edge. I now use a router with a slot cutting bit along with a modification of the fixture described at http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...e.aspx?id=3339.
This fixture provides very repeatable results. One safety problem with the jig as described is that the slot cutter is completely exposed, since the router is used upside down. I recommend installing a guard to protect yourself from contact with the cutter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode