Woodworking Talk banner

Problems Routing with a Template

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  FrankC 
#1 ·
I am trying to make some arms for a hall tree. The material is 5/4 walnut. I made a template for the pattern and attached it to the rough cut blank, but the template will not stay attached and it ruins the blank.

How can I attach my template to the walnut so that it will stay where I put it?

Any other hints you can offer will also be appreciated.

#5 ·
using a template is done often with great results. some tips: cut away the waste, and leave about 1/16" for the router, attach the template firmly (we use screws and have to fill the holes), use a good sharp router bit (we use a 1/2" carbide spiral)

#9 ·
Some tapes are too sticky ...

If the tape is too sticky you can break your workpiece gettin' it apart. Hot glue is also very aggressive. Small nails or tacks may work for certain woods where the grain will split out easily. You can remove them as you work you way around the pattern if they are in the way.

#10 · (Edited)
I've used this stuff from Rockler, and it has worked well for holding templates (I know it's called 'turners tape' - but it works well for templates).

http://www.rockler.com/double-sided-turners-tape

I'd say there's a high probability that you're going to have problems with tear out on your piece. I tried to make similar parts with a template and router, and gave up (at least using straight bits). I ended up cutting it close on the bandsaw (actually using the template technique on the bandsaw), then sanding to the line using a Ridgid oscillating spindle sander.

It might be that a shorter straight bit would have worked (i.e. not cutting the full thickness in one pass), or a spiral/compression bit. I didn't try either one of them.

#12 ·
The underside of a chair arm doesn't show. If it were me I would screw the pattern to the arm and putty the two screw holes after you are done. The part still would have to be jig sawn very close to the finished size before attempting to route it. Where the end comes to a point it would be very prone to blow out.

#14 ·
I never have luck using double sided tape. I've ruined more then one project when the tape didn't hold. I also don't like removing the tape residue from the template and workpiece, it takes too long.
I now use a 21 gauge pin nailer and shoot between 2-4 pins depending on shape and size. In soft woods I can easily pull the pins out of the workpiece. Hardwoods don't give up the pin so easily and many break off. I just cut them as close as possible and sand the pin flush. Pins won't ruin a cutter if you were to hit a cut-off pin in a future operation. Nobody has ever noticed a pin in any of my finished projects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.