Movement in walnut or plywood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tennessee Tim
  • 1 Post By nathanvaughan

post #1 of 11 Old 12-04-2016, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

View nathanvaughan's Photo Album My Photos
Movement in walnut or plywood?

I recently made a large top for a receptionist desk in kiln dried walnut. I used 3/4" stock in varied widths with glue and wood biscuits on the lengths and ends of the wood. Since it was a large 'L' shaped top and I wanted the look of a thicker slab, I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to the same shape and screwed it to the bottom of the joined walnut. After about two months, the entire top is 'cupped' and far out of square. Is this due to the Walnut not being acclimated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-04-2016, 10:53 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Yea, you got wood movement. It's not a good ideal to laminate solid wood to plywood. If the solid wood shrinks in width or expands it will either bow or split because the plywood doesn't move very much. There might not be a solution other than replacing the tops. You might remove the screws and hope the glue lets go. If that helps you could elongate the screw holes and put the screws back in. It would be better to use pan head screws and not torque them down tight. The solid wood needs to breathe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Tennessee Tim (12-05-2016)
post #3 of 11 Old 12-05-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

That's what I thought, thanks for the reply. I wonder if only a few screws would work too so it's not anchored in as tight?

post #4 of 11 Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
This probably isn't a acclimation problem.....it's a build issue. As Steve said solid and ply don't cooperate together UNLESS you know how to attatch each other and allow for MC changes (this will happen everyday 24/7/365 of some sort of movement). Another tip for thick look is to just add a edge around/double thickness...be sure the endgrains match also (hint make top 4" longer and wider, slice 2" off EACH end and 2" off EACH side, rotate them under keeping cut edges together [corners get mitered] you just doubled your thickness visually and the grains match perfectly and it "looks" as a slab thickness)

This is also your second post concerning build issues pertaining to MC/acclimation and wood. Nathan I think you need to study a little more in depth on moisture and joinery. Look into older craftsman methods. They had to build for movement due to very little controlled enviroments in those days. You may also have a MC control issue in your shop area from bringing in the barnwood and stacking near the KD'd wood....THEY WILL swap/try to balance MC levels making the KD go above needed specs. Try running a large basement size DH in your shop to pull RH under control. I have one running 24/7 at 45%RH = approx 8- 9%MC depending on temp. That keeps wood well balanced BUT I STILL have to build/joinery wisely...a client may not have the same convenience/control !!! You seem to have the ambition to build let's carry it to the next level and go for craftsman (a higher knowledge level).

We enjoy helping here. The advice given to you has been a long journey for me....lack of true craftsmen in my life and books (internet now). I had a lot of advice that wasn't proper and a lot of trial and error to realize everyone DIDN'T know what they were talking about!!!

We enjoy pics!!!!
JackTin likes this.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
.......... http://www.tsmfarms.com .......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-06-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvaughan View Post
That's what I thought, thanks for the reply. I wonder if only a few screws would work too so it's not anchored in as tight?
You could attach plywood to solid wood if the solid wood was finished underneath the plywood. Then to prepare the plywood you would make holes that were elongated and when fastened use pan head screws and just make them barely snug. The idea is if the solid wood wanted to expand or contract it wasn't restricted in any way with the plywood.

About the finish, solid wood is much more stable if it's sealed on all sides. It's like wetting one side of a kitchen sponge, it would curl up. Wood does much the same thing so when you use any large solid wood panel such as a table top it's important to seal the underside. Wood draws moisture out of the air so if the moisture content is higher on one side than the other the board will bow. Sometimes these guys get into trouble by gluing up a table top one weekend and leave it laying on their work bench until the next weekend and what happens is the moisture in the air can get to the top but not the bottom and it bows.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Here is a photo of the desk I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2390.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	266538  

matko likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-06-2016, 11:02 AM

That's a lot of cross grain. I think eventually you will have an issue with the boards cracking.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-06-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

What would you recommend to make this top without movement? If the walnut was a true 1" thick with no base do you think it would move? I used a tung oil sealer
post #9 of 11 Old 12-06-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
What would you recommend to make this top without movement? If the walnut was a true 1" thick with no base do you think it would move? I used a tung oil sealer
In around a decade or so the right side of the top is likely to shrink 1/8" to 1/4" in width. There is no way to avoid it with solid wood. A top of that design would have been better made out of walnut plywood and banded with a solid wood edge. Plywood would be free of any noticeable wood movement. Tung oil is a good sealer but it won't have very much to do with wood movement. Wood is a living thing and over time it will shrink and is also in humid weather swell up.

What is shown in the picture is a table top which has a breadboard end on it. When it was made the edge shown was flush and sanded smooth and over time the center part of the table shrunk leaving the breadboard end sticking out. The breadboard end doesn't shrink lengthwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrink_2_1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	266642  

post #10 of 11 Old 12-06-2016, 11:21 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
That is a beautiful top!!!

Think of solid wood as a live thing/ almost human....it breathes, it moves, it starves, it swells, temp effects it and also moisture. When it gets more food (moisture) than needed it gets fat/swells width wise but not height, when it doesn't get enough it skinnys up/shrinks width wise but not height. Too much moisture on one side the skin swells and bows one sided.

I believe the cross grain width I see would move (guessing) 1/2" or more form summer MC to winter MC (usually around 3-4% change) as a full glued top. There is a guide on this movement on the either here or www.Woodweb.com .

Movement with or without plywood backing doesn't effect the solid wood....it still moves....it's alive!!!! Always seal both sides at least 1 coat.
There are many different fastening techniques that allow solid wood to float.....slotted holes is the most common solution used for hidden fastening. Some use cleats that slide in slots.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
.......... http://www.tsmfarms.com .......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-07-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help! I'll be experimenting with the slotted holes for the future. I did not seal the bottom of the boards so that is good to know. I'm also looking into other sealers for Walnut I just like the look of the oil.

Thanks,

Nathan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode