How to Repair Joint and Split to Oak Chair - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

View Woodlot Manager's Photo Album My Photos
How to Repair Joint and Split to Oak Chair

Broke the top rail off the styles of an antique oak chair. On one joint the break was clean at the glue and only the dowel broke. On the other joint, about half the break was the joint and for the rest the top of the style split and two small pieces of the style broke off. The dowel is whole and still well embedded in the top rail.

All was joined with hide glue. To make the repair I understand that it is best to stay with hide glue for the joint. For the split wood, should I use a synthetic glue instead? The two little pieces fit nearly perfectly back in position without much of a crack showing.

For the other joint it is evident that it is best to replace the dowel. How best to take it out? I thought of drilling out the center of the dowel with a smaller bit and then just putting in some water or alcohol and let it soak into the glue to loosen it. Will that work? Any risks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Good fitting parts with little to no gaps I would use hot hide glue. For splits and cracks I would use TB II and clamps. For the dowel, you might be able to wiggle it out if you drill a small hole in the center, insert a screw, and heat the joint. I don't think I would use water, as the dowel would also expand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode