Woodworking Talk banner

How can I hide threaded rod used to create a panel?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  WeebyWoodWorker 
#1 ·
Probably not the best title but it was as good as I could come up with.

Basically, I'm building this: http://www.homemade-modern.com/ep70-outdoor-sofa/

A simple outdoor bench using 4x8 and 2x8 lumber.

What I don't like is how they connected the 4"x8' sections to create the side panels. What I'm thinking of is using threaded rod to run through the three panels. I would use a washer and a nut at the bottom to pull the three pieces together however I would prefer not to have any exposed hardware on the top both for aesthetics and also since this will be outdoors I don't want it to get ruined.

So I'm thinking of some sort of capture bolt or something in the top piece. Would epoxy be the better route or maybe on of those brass insert which are threaded on the outside?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

#4 ·
If you don't like the threaded rods build it in a different way that doesn't use them. Permanent joints can be doweled and break down joints you can use tee nuts or other fastening systems. For example there is a way to make a dining room table where all four legs can be removed. Only a single bolt holds the leg on and assembled you would never know it. The table is as sturdy as if the legs were glued on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.